+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: To subwoofer or not...?

I'm Svend.

Shaun, subtlety was not a descriptor I was expecting when discussing subwoofers. But that's a good thing, as it is a very positive quality to have in this case. Makes me feel encouraged to try it myself now. Last thing I want is overbearing bass booming away in the corner...I feel the headache coming on just thinking about it.

Did you get just the one unit? How big is your room? The Yamaha has an 8" cone, correct?

I'm Shaun.

Yeah the Yamaha has an 8" cone. I have just one unit not two and I am amazed at how the low frequencies just shimmer around the room like a pool close to the floor. It adds so much depth to the sound. Listening last night to Shpongle's Museum of Consciousness the sound has opened up massively with some huge low frequency extension. I too was expecting the thing to completely swamp the sound but it is just not the case. I have noticed as well that if you listen to say, half an album of music and then turn off the sub, it is blatantly obvious what it is adding to the overall sound.

I'm gone.

Subs only boom for 2 reasons ....
    1) if you want them to
    2) if you set them up wrong.

I'm Dave.

This thread is interesting and a few things have emerged.

One interesting observation is that the room and house have an effect - I can believe that.

I was considering sub woofers many years ago, and went to have a demonstration of some small BBC monitor speakers at a shop in Notting Hill. Those speakers were small, and surprisingly good for the sound, but pretty hopeless on bass. The shop guy had a sub woofer which he could switch in - and the results with that were amazing.

I think the important thing is that the sub woofer really should be barely audible, and not trying too hard. It isn't supposed to be providing much really audible bass, but reinforcing the low end, and going down below the frequencies of the main system where the drop off can be very sharp depending on the speaker type. Also, as mentioned upwards in the thread, the cross over is important.

I didn't follow it up, though years later I did meet the guy who put built very long concrete horns under his floor to match his speakers on the wooden floor above it. He said that it was good, and for really low notes he just fed in a signal from a low frequency oscillator which he activated with a button near his seat to impress his friends. He said it didn't matter what the frequency was too much as nobody could hear it anyway, but it just give a bit more oomph on organ music in climaxes. He only pressed the button very sparingly.
    Dave

I'm Shaun.

Given that I am completely happy with the sound of the Spendors with the Prima Luna pre/power I now feel as though I am getting the very best I can from my current system. This sub sounds bloody wonderful on most of my electronic music where it adds punch and weight, it also sounds bloody good on the music of George Micheal. Maybe I should try it on some Michael Buble...?

I'm Svend.

Michael Buble is not a baritone, last I heard... Doubt his range would excite the sub

This is all good feedback about your experience Shaun - thanks.

Again, I'm interested to know your room size? Our room is about 240 sg. ft.. Just curious to see in what size of room an 8" cone performs.

Speaking of boominess, I would image that on a suspended wood floor that a down-firing sub would not be the best choice. Isolation from floor is likely also important.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Svend N View Post
    Michael Buble is not a baritone, last I heard... Doubt his range would excite the sub
    I very much doubt Michael Buble excites much of anything.

Room size is 14X12 and has a solid floor covered with slate. It is an old rural cottage in darkest Lincolnshire especially with the current weather where everything is bloody dark.

Oh yeah, very low ceiling too.
    Last edited by Haselsh1; 29-11-2018 at 14:18. Reason: Addition:

I'm Svend.

Thanks Shaun -- good to know about room size. I will check out the Yamaha range, and others, and see which size driver would best suit our room. The Yamaha's have an interesting port design that seems unique.

Keep your home warm and bright to fight off the winter blues!

Best,
    Svend

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Subs only boom for 2 reasons ....
    1) if you want them to
    2) if you set them up wrong.
    You said that better than I could have
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

I'm Anto.

Quote Originally Posted by dave2010 View Post
    This thread is interesting and a few things have emerged.

One interesting observation is that the room and house have an effect - I can believe that.

I was considering sub woofers many years ago, and went to have a demonstration of some small BBC monitor speakers at a shop in Notting Hill. Those speakers were small, and surprisingly good for the sound, but pretty hopeless on bass. The shop guy had a sub woofer which he could switch in - and the results with that were amazing.

I think the important thing is that the sub woofer really should be barely audible, and not trying too hard. It isn't supposed to be providing much really audible bass, but reinforcing the low end, and going down below the frequencies of the main system where the drop off can be very sharp depending on the speaker type. Also, as mentioned upwards in the thread, the cross over is important.

I didn't follow it up, though years later I did meet the guy who put built very long concrete horns under his floor to match his speakers on the wooden floor above it. He said that it was good, and for really low notes he just fed in a signal from a low frequency oscillator which he activated with a button near his seat to impress his friends. He said it didn't matter what the frequency was too much as nobody could hear it anyway, but it just give a bit more oomph on organ music in climaxes. He only pressed the button very sparingly.
    Blofeld?
    I only ride 'em, I don't know what makes 'em work

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast