+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: To subwoofer or not...?

I'm Svend.

Some good music recommendations, guys. I will have a listen to those. It's not a genre I tune in to often, but when I do the Chemical Bros. are on my go-to list. Crystal Method too...some good stuff there. Future Funk Squad is fun also. Eno is an old fave. As you say, no shortage of good artists in this genre.

Shaun, sounds like that sub works well in your size room. Ours is similar size, maybe a bit larger, so we should be good. Thanks for the feedback. Presently snooping around for a used sub to try out.

I'm Shaun.

Yeah I like The Orb and Orbital too but not overly keen on the ravey dance track stuff mainly because I haven't got the correct type of sound system for that. I enjoy Ian Van Dahl and Lasgo but that is the trancey rave stuff so maybe not hearing it at its best but stuff like Rob Dougan is good and sounds good. I guess to be really honest I could do with a more capable amplifier Watts wise but I'd much rather stay with the sound I have than trade in just for more headroom.

I'm Steve.

Underworld! Mustn't forget Underworld!

Never heard of Rob Dougan, I will check him out.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Svend.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Underworld! Mustn't forget Underworld!
    Never heard 'em before. Will put them on Spotify while cooking dinner tonight. Whenever I play electronic it clears the room instantly. Will be nice to have the kitchen to myself. Ahhhh... P & Q...

I'm Steve.

If you've seen the film "Trainspotting" you'll be familiar with a couple of their tracks. The part where Renton is going "cold turkey" in his bedroom uses the track "Dark and Long".
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Svend.

Thanks for that Steve. My first search for Underworld on Spotify was a fail. Now I've got them and will have a listen tomorrow.

Great movie and soundtrack too.

Cheers,
    Svend

I'm Martin.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    OK there is some music I would not use the sub for but that would mainly be jazz with vocals. Mine gets used mainly for electronic music such as the Chemical Brothers, Younger Brother, Shpongle, Hallucinogen etc etc. Oh yeah and Talvin Singh whose music benefits so much.

The thing just adds so much low frequency depth it extends the emotion so much. I would not want to use it in a very large room though. Those resonances would be quite difficult to tame.
    Just joined and reading through a few threads, glad you lile the sub you got and its working put for you. Im a big fan of subwoofers and small speakers and i like to listen to jazz and electronic music too predominantly.

If you get your sub dialled in correctly, and this does take a fair bit of time then i would urge you to try using it for your jazz sessions too. When listening to a good sub dialled in correctly and listening to jazz you really should not notice it at all unless you turn it off. Even though you may not hear any sub bass notes in the music a good sub just improves everything in my experience. I listen to a lot of live jazz recordings and i think the sub really brings these recordings to life.

Give it a try, you might need to retune the sub now that its burnt in.

I'm Chip.

I too have bookshelf speakers with a REL subwoofer and I'm very happy with the sound. I listen to jazz and electronica as well, recently I've put blue tack underneath the feet of the REL (found this on REL website) as I have hardwood floors and I've found that it made the bass more controlled and pleasant sounding. Because of this, I don't turn the sub off anymore when listening to jazz. Maybe worth a try.

I'm Svend.

Martin, Chip -- thanks for the feedback. Are there any particular brands or models of subs that you'd recommend? Chip is having good success with REL, which get praise pretty much everywhere. Shaun is doing well with his Yamaha. Any others worth looking at? For good musical performance that is, not AV.

Thanks,
    Svend

I'm Chip.

Hi Svend,

What drew me to REL is the fact that they only make subwoofers, I don't think you can go wrong with it. The other brand that I've come across on other forums which constantly gets good reviews is JL audio. I've never heard one in the flesh though. There are two people whose opinion I value when it comes to audio that have owned REL subs and they had nothing but good things to say about it so naturally I went with REL. Hope this helps!
    Last edited by chipcalzada; 15-01-2019 at 07:43.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast