+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: To subwoofer or not...?

I'm Martin.

I'm using older Rel. I upgraded to a stentor 3 from a stadium 2 fairly recently. I like the aesthetics of these older rel models with wood veneers. Just need to be wary of condition as rel no longer support the ST series so if the amp goes it would be a pain.

I hear good things about BK subs which they sell factory to consumer so you get good. Vfm.

I'm Shaun.

I really wanted to buy a BK sub but wasn't prepared to potentially waste more money if it didn't work out.

I'm Svend.

Good suggestions guys. REL are easy to find here. I think they are one of the only ones not using a class-D amp nowadays. Should be easier to service I would imagine.

Not sure about BK - since they are direct-sell I doubt it would be worth shipping to Canada and paying customs...warranty service is a concern then too. Better to buy local in this case.

There are plenty of subs in the used market here, so I am tempted to go that way so as to minimize outlay in case I don't like it. Like Shaun, I'm just ready to dip my toe into this, not take the full plunge yet.

I'm Stephen.

I use a REL Quake with my Ruark Epilogues (Linn Kan size on Kan stands) in a smallish conservatory with suspended wood floor and it works very well indeed. Trick is to get the roll off right and then just enough gain to support the main speakers. All too easy to have the sub set too high. I adjust the gain with my ear up close to the sub until I can just hear it cut in and then add 1 click of gain. Works well for me. In contrast it was pants when I tried it with my EPOS M22i floor standers. Adding a pair of super tweeters however added just enough lift. Also means I can compensate for a bit of high tone hearing loss in my right ear.
    Always a little further

I'm Steve.

I suppose it's luck of the draw but my BK sub arrived 7 years ago, and has been switched on permanently ever since, with no issues whatsoever. Worked great for home cinema, and now does a sterling job giving me an extra octave with Celestion 5's in second system. Didn't help when I tried in main system though, which already goes quite low in the bass.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Shaun.

Just tried the sub with some jazz, well when I say jazz it was actually 'Tourist' by Saint Germain and 'This Way' by Acoustic Alchemy. Not stuff for the purist by any means but certainly damn fine music in a jazz style. The Saint Germain album must be mainly sampled loops and real instruments similar to Quantic but more 'jazz' than Quantic. The sub, as I was told, really does help with the sound of this music in a very big way. I have also moved the sub to fire down the room now rather than across it and this has resulted in me having to reduce the volume of the sub. There is much more reinforcement this way around. Still loving it, still not bored

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Just tried the sub with some jazz, well when I say jazz it was actually 'Tourist' by Saint Germain and 'This Way' by Acoustic Alchemy. Not stuff for the purist by any means but certainly damn fine music in a jazz style. The Saint Germain album must be mainly sampled loops and real instruments similar to Quantic but more 'jazz' than Quantic. The sub, as I was told, really does help with the sound of this music in a very big way. I have also moved the sub to fire down the room now rather than across it and this has resulted in me having to reduce the volume of the sub. There is much more reinforcement this way around. Still loving it, still not bored
    how have you got the sub connected shaun? interested as i might get one
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    how have you got the sub connected shaun? interested as i might get one
    Grant, I have taken the spare stereo phono outputs from the preamp and connected to left/right input on the sub. It must just tie the two together into a mono signal. Even though my sub is only 100 Watts or so there is plenty of low end reinforcement with the volume below half way. It really is quite effective. My last speakers before these were B&W CM8 S2's and these would definitely have benefited from this sub as their low end was not really that low. Before those I used KEF Q500's and they went much lower than the CM8's. Yet another case of live and learn. Another case of being dropped into a situation and coming out smiling.

I'm Martin.

Glad the sub is working out for you Shaun.

Down firing is good if you have hard flooring , particularly if you are ground floor. You can get a better room response as long as you have good placement and a friendly room. Forward firing better if you have a suspended floor.

Edit think i misread your comment there , sounds like its fowrad firing but you pointed it differently.

I'm Dave.

I have a BK XLS 200 down firing using high level inputs on my 2 ch and my AV amp excellent sub but does need careful setting up
    Amp Rega Elex-R
    CDP Denon DCD 520
    Tuner Teac T-R650 Dab/FM
    Music Player Pioneer N30 Network Player
    DAC Rega Dac-R
    Speakers Q Acoustic Concept 40s
    Speaker Cable Current is Rega FSC Quattro , Fisual S-Flex Studio 2.5mm / Ortofon SPK 100
    Interconnects Van Damme Silver Plated OFC Pro Classic XKE CDP/Tuner & Solid Silver Cyro 99.99% Pure, Dac To Amp
    Headphones AKG K550 mk3
    SUB BK XLS 200

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast