Closed Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Contributions Tab now active!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    .... perhaps a polite reminder by PM after 1 year along the lines of "It is now a year since your last generous donation to the upkeep of the forum, perhaps you would consider shoving in another dollop?" - or similar.
    That's what we'll probably do

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

If I wait till Thursday do I get an OAP rate - I get my Welsh bus pass this week
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

Heh-heh... I'll knit you a special 'Timbo' onesie to celebrate!

Btw folks, just in case any of you were wondering, we're not unique in activating a Donations tab, for this purpose. pfm have been operating a similar system for some time, which you'll see if you're a logged-in member at the top of the forum's homepage: https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/

Note the 'Donations' tab, next to the Members list tab. And I'm pretty sure the Wam have been doing it for years, with their 'Founding Member' thing. I think it's a nice chance to put something back into the community, and show you care, especially those of you who advertise regularly on the site, for free, lol!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Simon.

More than happy to contribute to such a friendly and informative forum. Long may it continue
    Simon.

Cheers, Simon

Btw folks, please remember that you can choose to Donate anonymously, should you wish to do so. If you would prefer this, please select 'No' under the 'Disclose Amount' option and drop me a PM. In that instance, no Contributor badge will appear next to your name.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Paul.

May I ask what where the contribution money goes?

Isn't AoS built on free software?, yes there will be annual costs to keep the forum running and the domain name, but I can't see them being too high.

Also, you have moderators, but I assume that they are not paid for their efforts?

Additionally, if someone was to contribute, does that automatically give them a right to dictate or question the running of the forum, or would they be expected to be a silent partner?

It would be good to have a breakdown of where my money would be going if I chose to invest, especially as you already have ads, traders and now members contributing.
    Streamer: NovaFidelity X40, Turntable: Rega RP3, Arm: Rega RB303, Cartridge: Audio Technica AT120E, Amp: Belles Aria, Loudspeakers: Quadral Aurum Montan VIII, Rack: Creaktiv Trend 1, Cables: Beresford, Chord, Coherent, MCRU, Rega, TCI.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by pjdowns View Post

Isn't AoS built on free software?, yes there will be annual costs to keep the forum running and the domain name, but I can't see them being too high.

Also, you have moderators, but I assume that they are not paid for their efforts?

Additionally, if someone was to contribute, does that automatically give them a right to dictate or question the running of the forum, or would they be expected to be a silent partner?

It would be good to have a breakdown of where my money would be going if I chose to invest, especially as you already have ads, traders and now members contributing.
    I'm no expert but I think that although the software itself may be free there are significant hosting costs involved?

I don't know about this forum but Moderators are usually volunteers (thanks for their efforts)

EDIT A quick google search suggests between 10 and 1000 USD per month depending on size and bandwidth
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Grant.

no-one is twisting your arm, and no, you dont get any privileges bar what was stated. Its quite expensive to run this forum, and thats why it was introduced.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Gary.

I personally don't care if somebody is making is making a few quid out of it, they've made the effort to provide this forum for us to use and enjoy.

The advice and chat I've had since joining a couple of months are worth what I've put in, and that was less than a night in the pub (makes me sound tight when I put it like that)
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your feedback. Let's take your questions individually:

Into a Paypal account. The funds accrued will be put towards the running costs of the site (as outlined below).

No, unfortunately not. The site runs on Vbulletin software (currently Version 4.2.3), the cost of which is paid for annually. You may not see the costs being too high, but I can assure you that they are significant (and rising all time), as the site grows and therefore requires more maintenance, due to increased bandwidth.

The biggest payment is to the company we use for maintaining the database (via our dedicated server) and the technicians who carry out the necessary work, which is on-going. Also, when the site is offline, due to a fault (as has occurred a few times recently), the technical support required to fix the issue is payable at an hourly rate + initial investigation fee. Therefore, the longer it takes to fix the problem, the more it costs!

Nope. They do it for the love of it, bless 'em!

ALL members are free to offer their input/praise/constructive criticism at any time, hence the existence of 'Critic's Corner' (or here) - and that applies whether they've made a donation or not. Also, no favouritism will be shown to those who donate. Members will always be treated equally, whether they help support the site financially or not, based on the quality of their contributions.

It would be good to have a breakdown of where my money would be going, especially as you already have ads, traders and now members contributing.
    Sorry, that's not going to happen. I've already outlined where the money goes. You're not buying shares in ownership of the site, which would entitle you to such information. Quite simply, there is no onus on anyone to make a donation. It's completely voluntary. No-one will be thought of any worse for not doing so.

However, should you choose to donate, then it's done on the basis of simply acting a small 'thank you' for providing the forum, including a highly active classifieds section with which to advertise and/or buy equipment. This area is currently free to all registered members, unlike many other forums of similar size, who charge their members for the privilege, and also place various restrictions upon their ability to gain access to that area of the site (minimum post quotas and so on).

Most large forums, not just hi-fi-related ones, have ads and traders contributing to costs. This is certainly true of both pfm and Wigwam, both of which have also been operating a membership Donations system for some time. Therefore, AoS is now simply being brought into line with those. Indeed, it is something that has been mentioned before and suggested by members (not us), so implementing it now seemed as good a time as any.

Hope this helps answer your questions

Marco.
    Main System

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast