+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got an Onkyo NS 6130 streamer ?

I'm steve.

Default Anyone got an Onkyo NS 6130 streamer ?

Hi all, due to an Amazon purchase I’ve just started 3 months free Amazon Music subscription. Have to say the UI and the sound quality seems better than Spotify, I’m currently streaming from my iphone to my Apple TV by Airplay but I don’t like the fact that it ties up the TV so I can’t use it for anything else at the same time (monitor for my Macmini).
    Because of this I’m considering a budget streamer, the Onkyo has caught my eye by dint of the low price, £199 from Richer Sounds, mainly as I’ve just bought an Onkyo A-9010 and found it to be excellent. A wonder if any forum users have one of these and can comment on how they find it performs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I'm assuming you have not tried Spotify Premium and you're comparing a lower version of Spotify to Amazon Music?

Amazon Music is 256kbps, Spotify Normal is 160kbps, Premium 320kps.

Amazon is .mp3, Spotify .ogg - not personally found anyone yet who finds Amazon Music superior to Spotify when it comes to sound quality, as long as you are doing the comparison correctly and have the correct bitrate selected? If you are comparing Spotify Normal or the free version, then yes Amazon Music should should better.

So you might be getting better results at the moment, but bear in mind the above as you are not comparing the two correctly as they have different bitrates. If you are comparing Amazon to Spotify Premium and it sounds better, it's likely you are doing something wrong as Spotify should be sounding superior to Amazon. So before committing to Amazon, make sure you are getting the best from Spotify before making a decision - at the moment you can get a 3 month trial of Spotify Premium for 99p, which might be worth investigating if you already haven't. If you are comparing Premium and have it set up correctly and Amazon Music still sounds better, then just ignore the above

Good luck with your streamer, can't help you there as I have no knowledge.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    I'm assuming you have not tried Spotify Premium and you're comparing a lower version of Spotify to Amazon Music?

Amazon Music is 256kbps, Spotify Normal is 160kbps, Premium 320kps.

Amazon is .mp3, Spotify .ogg - not personally found anyone yet who finds Amazon Music superior to Spotify when it comes to sound quality, as long as you are doing the comparison correctly and have the correct bitrate selected? If you are comparing Spotify Normal or the free version, then yes Amazon Music should should better.

So you might be getting better results at the moment, but bear in mind the above as you are not comparing the two correctly as they have different bitrates. If you are comparing Amazon to Spotify Premium and it sounds better, it's likely you are doing something wrong as Spotify should be sounding superior to Amazon. So before committing to Amazon, make sure you are getting the best from Spotify before making a decision - at the moment you can get a 3 month trial of Spotify Premium for 99p, which might be worth investigating if you already haven't. If you are comparing Premium and have it set up correctly and Amazon Music still sounds better, then just ignore the above

Good luck with your streamer, can't help you there as I have no knowledge.
    You’re probably right as I’ve only been using Spotify Free which I believe is 160kbps MP3, the thing that sways me is I prefer the Amazon UI better and the price is lower, just need streamer advice.

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

If you are using the free version of Spotify that's only 96Kbps .ogg, so isn't going to sound as good as Amazon Music. You are comparing apples with oranges

Spotify: Streaming speed/audio quality: There are three quality ratings for streamings, all in the Ogg Vorbis format. The choices are Normal at 96Kbits/sec, High at 160Kbits/sec and Extreme at 320Kbits/sec. Users with the free version will automatically get the Normal version, and Premium subscribers can choose at what level of streaming quality the music plays, but the Automatic style is recommended – it will change according to your network connection, with a minimum rate of 96Kbits/sec.
    https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tech...usic-streaming

I'm Grant.

Yup spotty is pretty good for 320kb. It's a good algorithm. Ive just got 3 months for 9.99 again so took it. Even tho I use tidal it will be good for the new car and save me altering my tidal outputs all time. 320 in car is fine.
    Also does this streamer currently do Amazon and any others? Or are u casting if from phone. Just that these things can become redundant if they fall out or they don't keep up with updates etc
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

That streamer certainly looks good for the money though

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    If you are using the free version of Spotify that's only 96Kbps .ogg, so isn't going to sound as good as Amazon Music. You are comparing apples with oranges

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tech...usic-streaming
    I user selected best quality which gives 160kbps, 96kbps is the default setting.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Yup spotty is pretty good for 320kb. It's a good algorithm. Ive just got 3 months for 9.99 again so took it. Even tho I use tidal it will be good for the new car and save me altering my tidal outputs all time. 320 in car is fine.
    Also does this streamer currently do Amazon and any others? Or are u casting if from phone. Just that these things can become redundant if they fall out or they don't keep up with updates etc
    I’d be casting from my iphone or ipad.

I'm Grant.

That's fair enough then. Your not reliant on the streamer keeping up with codecs etc.

Yup it looks a nice machine
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

If you can I would compare it to this. The Music Cast interface is very good and the streamer good quality.

https://www.richersounds.com/yamaha-...amplifier.html

Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast