Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Martin.

Some more listening:

Robert Plant: Fate Of Nations -1993 outing from Percy, one of his better solo efforts IMO with some strong tunes. And some deep bass on some of them. Again I had the perception that the sound was not as 'open' as I am used to but again this was compensated for in other areas. Particularly the depth and definition of the basslines and the successful conveyance of the metallic sounds of cymbals and the realistic percussion, especially on snare drum and rim-shots.

There's something particularly satisfying about the resolution of a deep bass note that I think most people seek but few systems provide. Previously I had thought that the JMLab speakers stop just shy of delivering that effect in its full glory, hence why I'm moving on to something bigger (Tannoy Ardens). However with this record I am now thinking that I need not bother, the JM Labs are capable of 'doing bass' far better than I had previously thought.

Sinatra - Live At The Sands - Must have had this CD 20 years (has an 'Andy's Records' sticker on it which dates it a bit). So I know it well. On a competent system with the lights down a bit and preferable being a couple of sheets to the wind it is easy to get transported to the actual event with this recording. I know many afficianados prefer the younger Sinatra but for me this one, made when he was fifty (as he mentions in the monologue), is the definitive Sinatra, on the top of his game and able to inject that bit of world-weariness into the torch songs.

Sinatra is bit more forward and isolated in the mix than I'm used to, but we are talking fractions here. And there is a slightly 'synthetic' sound to the massed horns which I can put down to the Sony CD player (all SACD capable players I have heard seem to exhibit this trait regardless of whether they are playing a SACD or a Red Book). Otherwise the sheer clarity of the presentation was a bit of a revelation. Double bass was quite obviously a double bass, not just a bass 'sound', no need to concentrate to hear that, it was just there.

Decided after listening to this album that I am going to have to put one of my better CD players back in the system as there is no question now that if there is a bottle-neck in this set-up it is the source and not this pre-amp. If you don't already have a top class, high end pre-amp and can't afford five grand or whatever to get one then see if you can pick up a DCB1, build one yourself or get someone to knock one up for you because (especially for comparatively small amount of money required to own one) it is an exceptional bit of kit and gets my full recommendation.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Some more listening:

Robert Plant: Fate Of Nations -1993 outing from Percy, one of his better solo efforts IMO with some strong tunes. And some deep bass on some of them. Again I had the perception that the sound was not as 'open' as I am used to but again this was compensated for in other areas. Particularly the depth and definition of the basslines and the successful conveyance of the metallic sounds of cymbals and the realistic percussion, especially on snare drum and rim-shots.

There's something particularly satisfying about the resolution of a deep bass note that I think most people seek but few systems provide. Previously I had thought that the JMLab speakers stop just shy of delivering that effect in its full glory, hence why I'm moving on to something bigger (Tannoy Ardens). However with this record I am now thinking that I need not bother, the JM Labs are capable of 'doing bass' far better than I had previously thought.

Sinatra - Live At The Sands - Must have had this CD 20 years (has an 'Andy's Records' sticker on it which dates it a bit). So I know it well. On a competent system with the lights down a bit and preferable being a couple of sheets to the wind it is easy to get transported to the actual event with this recording. I know many afficianados prefer the younger Sinatra but for me this one, made when he was fifty (as he mentions in the monologue), is the definitive Sinatra, on the top of his game and able to inject that bit of world-weariness into the torch songs.

Sinatra is bit more forward and isolated in the mix than I'm used to, but we are talking fractions here. And there is a slightly 'synthetic' sound to the massed horns which I can put down to the Sony CD player (all SACD capable players I have heard seem to exhibit this trait regardless of whether they are playing a SACD or a Red Book). Otherwise the sheer clarity of the presentation was a bit of a revelation. Double bass was quite obviously a double bass, not just a bass 'sound', no need to concentrate to hear that, it was just there.

Decided after listening to this album that I am going to have to put one of my better CD players back in the system as there is no question now that if there is a bottle-neck in this set-up it is the source and not this pre-amp. If you don't already have a top class, high end pre-amp and can't afford five grand or whatever to get one then see if you can pick up a DCB1, build one yourself or get someone to knock one up for you because (especially for comparatively small amount of money required to own one) it is an exceptional bit of kit and gets my full recommendation.
    Whilst I'm not surprised, the CDP is definitely the bottleneck and I believe I mentioned that.

When you get your Techie back in, I think you are going to be rewarded with a very special sound.

The DCB1 IS an absolute steal for the money. With a high quality list of components and with the right wire () it's got more available. Moving up to 600mA is definitely where you need to go next mate. Unfortunately that casework is not sufficient.

A better preamp for £600 (cost of my new build) will not be found. To prove this, I have a mate with a 'The Truth's preamp. We are going to do a little bakeoff and see what comes of it. I have a truth before but in someone else's system.

I totally believe that you will have to spend big to beat this outright.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Whilst I'm not surprised, the CDP is definitely the bottleneck and I believe I mentioned that.

When you get your Techie back in, I think you are going to be rewarded with a very special sound.

The DCB1 IS an absolute steal for the money. With a high quality list of components and with the right wire () it's got more available. Moving up to 600mA is definitely where you need to go next mate. Unfortunately that casework is not sufficient.

A better preamp for £600 (cost of my new build) will not be found. To prove this, I have a mate with a 'The Truth's preamp. We are going to do a little bakeoff and see what comes of it. I have a truth before but in someone else's system.

I totally believe that you will have to spend big to beat this outright.
    Mate the sound is already 'special' don't get me wrong. I'm just very fussy. The quality level is already right up there with the best I've heard, but of course nothing is perfect. Added to that the presentation is very close to what I have been looking for. I think we all have some sort of ideal 'presentation' in our heads that we are aiming to get to, even though that may vary quite widely from person to person. This is closer to mine than I have got previously.

The idea of a Turbo version of the DCB1 does appeal - of course! - but I'm way over budget for this year's fun already and I still have the Tannoy build to pay for....so it will have to wait.
    Current Lash Up:

Bigman80 Guest

Haha, I know what you mean, it is very special. So are the cables!!

Whenever you're ready, well look at a turbo.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Mate the sound is already 'special' don't get me wrong. I'm just very fussy. The quality level is already right up there with the best I've heard, but of course nothing is perfect. Added to that the presentation is very close to what I have been looking for. I think we all have some sort of ideal 'presentation' in our heads that we are aiming to get to, even though that may vary quite widely from person to person. This is closer to mine than I have got previously.

The idea of a Turbo version of the DCB1 does appeal - of course! - but I'm way over budget for this year's fun already and I still have the Tannoy build to pay for....so it will have to wait.
    Hi Martin
    The version you have can very easily be turboed.
    I have whats required here and not too expensive to do
    It can be done in the case you have already.
    Pm me if you decide thats what you want to do.
    S.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Martin
    The version you have can very easily be turboed.
    I have whats required here and not too expensive to do
    It can be done in the case you have already.
    Pm me if you decide thats what you want to do.
    S.
    That's good to know, cheers Steve.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm jamie.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post

The one I heard at Steve’s was very good, I think that’s what maccas using now,what’s wrong with the case that makes it insufficient?
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by karma67 View Post
    The one I heard at Steve’s was very good, I think that’s what maccas using now,what’s wrong with the case that makes it insufficient?
    At 600mA you'd need heat sinks in that case and possibly ventilation holes. The way to do it in that case, is extend the legs on the FETs and attach them to heatsinks. Might be a bit odd looking inside but it would work.

An all aluminium case with vent holes would be far easier as you could just attach to the chassis floor. Aluminium being more conducive than iron used in the original casework.

It's the iron construction that is the issue. For me anyway.

I'm jamie.

Ah got you.
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast