+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DCB1 unity gain pre-amp and spotfire interconnects - ongoing review

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Martin I seriously thought about buying this and running such a thread.

Great read so far. Nuances and differences are important personally when you're trying to get the best out of the shit you actually own.

I bet I would have found it equally as interesting.

Personally I dump shit pretty quick if it doesn't beat what I already have. My system remainins relatively static because of it.

Apart from valves, that is. Always messing with those. Best fine tuning instruments ever invented audio wise I think. If you can afford a substantial quality itinerary.

What I don't like is a sound that is consistently the same. I swap valves to effect changes digital filters can't achieve.

Constant change stops a boredom factor creeping in.
    I was partly motivated to get it by you telling me I needed an active with the Krell. Although I'm not sure it actually qualifies as an active. I suppose not.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Martin I seriously thought about buying this and running such a thread.

Great read so far. Nuances and differences are important personally when you're trying to get the best out of the shit you actually own.

I bet I would have found it equally as interesting.

Personally I dump shit pretty quick if it doesn't beat what I already have. My system remainins relatively static because of it.

Apart from valves, that is. Always messing with those. Best fine tuning instruments ever invented audio wise I think. If you can afford a substantial quality itinerary.

What I don't like is a sound that is consistently the same. I swap valves to effect changes digital filters can't achieve.

Constant change stops a boredom factor creeping in.
    If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could make one. If not and you want one, give me or Steve a shout.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I was partly motivated to get it by you telling me I needed an active with the Krell. Although I'm not sure it actually qualifies as an active. I suppose not.
    Hell I don't recall ever saying that, lest you can find the thread in which I did. I just don't think I'd specifically recommend anything other than an active valve pre with a Krell based on Krells in my system. The valve bit is important. I always find Krells too sterile.

Whatever. No system really wins in almost all aspects, no matter what the price.

Mad hobby, really.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could make one. If not and you want one, give me or Steve a shout.
    No I am mainly thinking Lumilor at the moment.

Google it

montesquieu Guest

Going back 6-7 years now I ran a DCB1 for over a year as my only 'preamp' during a period when I had a high-sensitivity KT88 amp (a Tube Distinctions-modified KT88 japanese amp that was quite exceptional given how it started out, into Tannoy 15in MG GRFs).

I didn't need any gain, but I couldn't get along with any of the passives I tried (Glasshouse, S&B DIY TVC, EVA 2 LDR among others). The DCB1, which was pretty well specced in terms of components, perfomed really well in this context - it was clean, dynamic, and to my ears didn't suffer from the lack of musicality and oomph I felt when using pure passive devices.

In the end though I found a good tube preamp, of necessity low gain in this application (the SJS Model 2 that replaced it is only 6dB gain), pipped it in all departments - overall I found that the DCB1 just fell short of the holographic sense of 3D space you get with a top tube pre, while the model 2 also outclassed it for detail.

But the SJS, even at 10+ years old when I bought it, cost me nearly 10 times what the DCB1 did. The DCB1 is a seriously nice sounding thing for the money and I think hard to beat at under a couple of grand. Be interesting where this review goes.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Going back 6-7 years now I ran a DCB1 for over a year as my only 'preamp' during a period when I had a high-sensitivity KT88 amp (a Tube Distinctions-modified KT88 japanese amp that was quite exceptional given how it started out, into Tannoy 15in MG GRFs).

I didn't need any gain, but I couldn't get along with any of the passives I tried (Glasshouse, S&B DIY TVC, EVA 2 LDR among others). The DCB1, which was pretty well specced in terms of components, perfomed really well in this context - it was clean, dynamic, and to my ears didn't suffer from the lack of musicality and oomph I felt when using pure passive devices.

In the end though I found a good tube preamp, of necessity low gain in this application (the SJS Model 2 that replaced it is only 6dB gain), pipped it in all departments - overall I found that the DCB1 just fell short of the holographic sense of 3D space you get with a top tube pre, while the model 2 also outclassed it for detail.

But the SJS, even at 10+ years old when I bought it, cost me nearly 10 times what the DCB1 did. The DCB1 is a seriously nice sounding thing for the money and I think hard to beat at under a couple of grand. Be interesting where this review goes.
    Good insight into the DCB1 Tom. Can I ask what Attenuator was in it? Was it Hot-Rodded or standard?

I am convinced by the DCB1. It doesn't do anything. I like that a lot. I have used a Khozmo in it and I think that's the key. I'm not sure what Arek does in that finely finished casework bit his Khozmo works for me.

The DCB1 got more holographic at 200mA and I didn't really feel it was lacking before. That said, it was a noticeable difference.

The guy I sold mine to uses a Croft CharismaX and isn't as convinced about the DCB1 as me BUT having never heard or being able to afford a charismaX, I asked him what else he thinks would beat the DCB1. "There isn't much" he said and that to me says a lot.

My new DCB1 is costing approximately £600 to put together due to the slightly boutique nature of the components and the fancy Chassis I got for it. If there isn't much to beat it between the Level 2 DCB1 (200mA) at £400 build cost and the CharismaX (£5k) I am pretty satisfied with the value VS performance aspect.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Good insight into the DCB1 Tom. Can I ask what Attenuator was in it? Was it Hot-Rodded or standard?

I am convinced by the DCB1. It doesn't do anything. I like that a lot. I have used a Khozmo in it and I think that's the key. I'm not sure what Arek does in that finely finished casework bit his Khozmo works for me.

The DCB1 got more holographic at 200mA and I didn't really feel it was lacking before. That said, it was a noticeable difference.

The guy I sold mine to uses a Croft CharismaX and isn't as convinced about the DCB1 as me BUT having never heard or being able to afford a charismaX, I asked him what else he thinks would beat the DCB1. "There isn't much" he said and that to me says a lot.

My new DCB1 is costing approximately £600 to put together due to the slightly boutique nature of the components and the fancy Chassis I got for it. If there isn't much to beat it between the Level 2 DCB1 (200mA) at £400 build cost and the CharismaX (£5k) I am pretty satisfied with the value VS performance aspect.
    Not hot-rodded as that approach was pretty new at the time (I think I sold it in 2012). I recall it had quite a fancy multi-regulator power supply and some top resistors and caps in it but I don't recall the details of this or of the attenuator. Bear in mind the SJS Model 2 that replaced it would easily fetch £3k now.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Not hot-rodded as that approach was pretty new at the time (I think I sold it in 2012). I recall it had quite a fancy multi-regulator power supply and some top resistors and caps in it but I don't recall the details of this or of the attenuator. Bear in mind the SJS Model 2 that replaced it would easily fetch £3k now.
    Just out of curiosity mate. Not even suggesting it would compete with the SJS. You have had some nice gear, Tom.

I'm Steve.

Interesting comments.
    I only built the first dcb1 as i needed a pre to go with the Firebottle monos Alan recently built me.
    I'm constantly on the lookout for improvement so when i built my preamp, my first project incidentally, i was gobsmacked at the result.
    It seems a perfect match for the new monos but as usual i thought it might make a difference if i use even better quality parts and up the flow of juice through the fets!!
    Which is where i am now.
    Lets hope the gains i get from upping it to 600mA are as big as the ones from 60mA to 200mA, if so I will be a very happy chap indeed

It's incredible to me that something at £550ish can compete with preamps costing 2 and 3 grand

As a last word I really must thank Alan (Firebottle) he has given me quite a bit of guidance, couldnt have done this otherwise, also Oliver who's passion is incredible and VERY infectious

Krell one day mate!!!!

S.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Interesting comments.
    I only built the first dcb1 as i needed a pre to go with the Firebottle monos Alan recently built me.
    I'm constantly on the lookout for improvement so when i built my preamp, my first project incidentally, i was gobsmacked at the result.
    It seems a perfect match for the new monos but as usual i thought it might make a difference if i use even better quality parts and up the flow of juice through the fets!!
    Which is where i am now.
    Lets hope the gains i get from upping it to 600mA are as big as the ones from 60mA to 200mA, if so I will be a very happy chap indeed

It's incredible to me that something at £550ish can compete with preamps costing 2 and 3 grand

As a last word I really must thank Alan (Firebottle) he has given me quite a bit of guidance, couldnt have done this otherwise, also Oliver who's passion is incredible and VERY infectious

S.
    Well, it's a bit of a stretch to compare it to £2-3k preamps when haven't had the chance to really put the DCB1 to the test. I think what should happen is when the DCB1's are built and run in, we try and get some comparisons done.

Only then can we quantify how good it is.

That said, I suspect it will be able to hang with the big boys.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast