+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: DCB1 unity gain pre-amp and spotfire interconnects - ongoing review

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    DCBs are nice, I had one running for quite a while. Now using a 'Stereo coffee' LDR unit which is pretty straightline too.
    The KISS principle here.
    As to using a better CD player......running lossless iTunes is possibly better.
    Quite a lot of first-time deniers are coming round to thinking that; the ones that have got past the 'vinyl is best' phase?
    I'm sure it can probably be as good if it's all set up right, there's no reason why not, but CD does the job for me without all the mucking about. I just need to get a small cross-head screwdriver from somewhere and I can get my Parasound CDi1000 working again.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I just need to get a small cross-head screwdriver from somewhere and I can get my Parasound CDi1000 working again.
    You might get one in a Christmas cracker if you're lucky.

I'm Martin.

Good idea, I'll hang on for that then.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Martin.

Okay so here we are 3 months on almost. Had the chance over the past few days to do some more 'serious' listening.

I didn't get a flathead screwdriver in an Xmas cracker so the Parasound still has a disc stuck in it so still using the Sony XB790QS SACD player.

Any reservations I had expressed previously about the sound of this pre-amp (slightly dark and less open) have gone. Maybe this is the Spotfire interconnect burn in I have been told about (the cables were brand new when I got the DCB1), maybe this is just acclimatization, I don't know.

In any case sound quality now is practically at the level of 'joke good' - which is my highest rating level. Obviously this is not all attributable to the DCB1 but the combination of DCB1-Spotfire-Krell KSA50S really does hit the spot for me. This is the sort of sound I was looking for when I went out and bought my first separates system back in 1988.

It's a sound I have rarely heard even listening to systems at shows where you are into the plus £100K level. Although some of them do manage it, you never think you are going to be able to get that sound in your own home on a sensible budget. But now you can!

I'll grant you that this is very much a 'studio console' sort of sound. If you like EL84 valve amps or SETs with horns you won't be so keen; although it certainly won't offend your ears it might be a bit full on for you. I don't know. All I can say is if you are looking for an absolutely top quality sound and don't know where to go next, get yourself a Krell, a DCB1 and some of the Spotifre cables (that lot will cost you about £1500 all in), hook it up to your speakers and spend the rest of your life wondering why you didn't do this sooner.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Sounds ace, mate. Can't wait to hear it next time I'm down! And you've still got the Tannoys to come

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Indeed. I'm also advised that there's a bit more that can be done to the DCB1 to 'max it out'. Can't imagine what that would be like.

I think it is just one of those situations where all the components come together. Like matching five reels on a slot machine.
    Current Lash Up:

Bigman80 Guest

Okay so here we are 3 months on almost. Had the chance over the past few days to do some more 'serious' listening.

I didn't get a flathead screwdriver in an Xmas cracker so the Parasound still has a disc stuck in it so still using the Sony XB790QS SACD player.

Any reservations I had expressed previously about the sound of this pre-amp (slightly dark and less open) have gone. Maybe this is the Spotfire interconnect burn in I have been told about (the cables were brand new when I got the DCB1), maybe this is just acclimatization, I don't know.

In any case sound quality now is practically at the level of 'joke good' - which is my highest rating level. Obviously this is not all attributable to the DCB1 but the combination of DCB1-Spotfire-Krell KSA50S really does hit the spot for me. This is the sort of sound I was looking for when I went out and bought my first separates system back in 1988.

It's a sound I have rarely heard even listening to systems at shows where you are into the plus £100K level. Although some of them do manage it, you never think you are going to be able to get that sound in your own home on a sensible budget. But now you can!

I'll grant you that this is very much a 'studio console' sort of sound. If you like EL84 valve amps or SETs with horns you won't be so keen; although it certainly won't offend your ears it might be a bit full on for you. I don't know. All I can say is if you are looking for an absolutely top quality sound and don't know where to go next, get yourself a Krell, a DCB1 and some of the Spotifre cables (that lot will cost you about £1500 all in), hook it up to your speakers and spend the rest of your life wondering why you didn't do this sooner.
    Told ya!

Seriously, the burn in effect is 100% real and not a trick of the mind. I can replicate this now with regularly. The SPOTFIRE do require 100hrs to open up and settle down.

The DCB1 is possibly my best find. Thankfully, there is more to get from yours. Judiciously replacing 8 resistors with some very select 0.1% resistors (no, not telling anyone what brand they are) will yield a step forward in resolution. However, the trick to really allowing the DCB1 to shine, is to push it up past 700mA. If you can get to 1.2A, or near it, the difference is in the soundstage with superb air and space. Honestly, it's worth it. I am happy to bring mine up and you can hear for yourself.

As for your Krell, well, it inspired my own purchase of one. The Krell is on par with anything I've heard under £20k. Call that bullshit if you like but it's how I feel. I love mine.

The combo of DCB1, SPOTFIRE and Krell is divinity. It's not limited though to having a Krell like amplifier. I've had the DCB1 on Valve amps and Solid state amps and never has it failed to impress.

I won't discuss the SPOTFIRE as I am entirely biased

Well done for bring brave enough to to step out of the big brand umbrella. It's where all the value is.

Now, when do you want to hear the Phonostage

I'm Martin.

Yes the burn in! I don't know. I've not got 100 hours on them I don't think anyway. Lost track.

I don't know about all Krells but certainly the KSA100 mk2 and the KSA50s are as good as anything I've heard at any price.

I'll look at maxing out the DCB1 in the fairly near future, certainly before I 'retire' next year. As for the phono stage that's like offering crack to an addict whose just got out of 12 harrowing months in rehab...I'll have to try to resist the temptation.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Steve.

Yes the burn in! I don't know. I've not got 100 hours on them I don't think anyway. Lost track.

I don't know about all Krells but certainly the KSA100 mk2 and the KSA50s are as good as anything I've heard at any price.

I'll look at maxing out the DCB1 in the fairly near future, certainly before I 'retire' next year. As for the phono stage that's like offering crack to an addict whose just got out of 12 harrowing months in rehab...I'll have to try to resist the temptation.
    Hi Martin,
    Any time you'd like your dcb1 maxing just let me know and ill pop up and max it for you.
    I have the parts and heatsinks required already

Regards Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Martin,
    Any time you'd like your dcb1 maxing just let me know and ill pop up and max it for you.
    I have the parts and heatsinks required already

Regards Steve...
    Yes Steve. You know the craic. It's well worth doing isnt it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast