+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TIDAL in Audirvana and Volumio

I'm Adrian.

Default TIDAL in Audirvana and Volumio

So today out of interest I set up My.Volumio so that I could try out TIDAL from it.

I then listened to the same pieces of music/files through Audirvana and TIDAL at the same bit rates/sampling rates.

Something I think is different, I won't say what, but I would be interested to hear what others think?
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Ken.

My experience is that all the audio players sound slightly different, they must be applying dsp in different ways and have different priorities/preferences. Yes they do more than playback the 0's and 1's, they mess with it. Even the Gain matching feature to maintain constant volume between tracks or albums is achieved using dsp. Oh, that's another thing MQA will put an end to, as dsp is not possible on an MQA file. I digress!

VLC for instance sounds nice, very coherent, especially with complex multi instrument pieces or vocals, till you listen to Audirvana and realize the bass on VLC is rounded off, has less depth and impact. After listening to quite a few audio players, Audirvana is my current favorite with Foobar2000 second. I'm not judging interfaces, just playback. I'm trying MPD next, which is supposed to be even better than Audirvana, in one reviewers article anyway, in which he said it was also better than JRiver - MPD is, "The most transparent player I have come across". I'll try it for myself as taste varies. In most cases its that they are just slightly different rather than better overall, so you will have to decide which you prefer when mated to your gear. Some differences like my example above, are fairly obvious, some are really subtle, but I have yet to find two I would say sound exactly the same.
    Last edited by Qwin; 21-11-2018 at 12:55. Reason: Typo

+ Reply to Thread