S.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Keith.

Smile

Well, removed the 10R resistors and fitted 1.2R and there is a definite improvement in how this now sounds. Improvement in clarity and therefore detail but also increased smoothness and calmness. Sounds quieter which is a good sign as I think it is distortion that can make things sound loud.
    I get 1.092V across one resistor and 1.076V across the other so with 1.2R I reckon that is 910mA and 896mA respectively? can someone (Alan ? ) advise if this is close enough or would further matching improve things? What value resistor is required to parallel with the 1.092 side to get it down to 1.076?
    The bottom of the case is hot to touch but can keep my hand on it no problem, same with finger ends on the Fets themselves so the heat seems to be transferring away ok. The MURs, however are very hot and can't quite keep a finger end on them so will need to look at getting some heatsinking onto them. What solutions have you tried for the MURs?
    KR
    Keith.
    Garrard 401, Groovemaster 2, Arche headshell, Miyajima Shilabe, Paradise Phono amp,
    Aqua La Voce dac
    Salas DCB1
    Najda active crossover and DSP.
    Crown XLi 1500 x 2 bridged, Neurochrome Mod 86 monos, Guy Sergeant Hiraga Le Monstre,
    DIY open baffle with 18" Fane Colossus XB, Beyma 12p80ND and Beyma TPL150H with BK XLS 400 sub.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keith1962 View Post
    Well, removed the 10R resistors and fitted 1.2R and there is a definite improvement in how this now sounds. Improvement in clarity and therefore detail but also increased smoothness and calmness. Sounds quieter which is a good sign as I think it is distortion that can make things sound loud.
    I get 1.092V across one resistor and 1.076V across the other so with 1.2R I reckon that is 910mA and 896mA respectively? can someone (Alan ? ) advise if this is close enough or would further matching improve things? What value resistor is required to parallel with the 1.092 side to get it down to 1.076?
    The bottom of the case is hot to touch but can keep my hand on it no problem, same with finger ends on the Fets themselves so the heat seems to be transferring away ok. The MURs, however are very hot and can't quite keep a finger end on them so will need to look at getting some heatsinking onto them. What solutions have you tried for the MURs?
    KR
    Keith.
    Alan added some heatsinks to the MUR so I'd definitely suggest you do the same.

Personally, I think that you need to balance the channels. Have a play with resistor values but yes, I definitely agree that as the mA went up, so does performance.

Well done!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by keith1962 View Post
    KR
    Keith.
    Hi Keith

You can mount the Diodes on the case too but youll probably need to de solder them.

You can always use smaller To220 heatsinks if you think you need them but you should be well inside the 8 Amps the mur82/mur860 handle

Steve...
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Keith

You can mount the Diodes on the case too but youll probably need to de solder them.

You can always use smaller To220 heatsinks if you think you need them but you should be well inside the 8 Amps the mur82/mur860 handle

Steve...
    Little heat sinks will help. Alan said they could handle it but seems daft not dissipate the heat to keep the MUR at a lower temperature.

That's my view anyway. Attaching to the case is probably a simple way but if it's already hot, you'll just add to the heat.

I'm Steve.

The heat from the fets is sufficiently far enough away from the diodes not to cause any problem.

Look at how close your fets are in pairs, the diodes are further away.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

The heat from the fets is sufficiently far enough away from the diodes not to cause any problem.

Look at how close your fets are in pairs, the diodes are further away.
    I'd prefer them to be independently mounted to either one big heatsink or a few smaller ones but whatever Keith wants to do will work in his favour.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I'd prefer them to be independently mounted to either one big heatsink or a few smaller ones but whatever Keith wants to do will work in his favour.
    Was that not my suggestion ?? (Hi Keith

You can mount the rectifiers on the case too but youll probably need to de solder them.

You can always use smaller To220 heatsinks if you think you need them but you should be well inside the 8 Amps the mur82/mur860 handle)
    Last edited by STD305M; 16-12-2018 at 20:29.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Was that not my suggestion ?? (Hi Keith

You can always use smaller To220 heatsinks if you think you need them but you should be well inside the 8 Amps the mur82/mur860 handle)
    Lol, yes, I agreed but said I'd go for independent heatsinks over fitting the to the chassis. I think we both said the same thing, just differently.

I'm Alan.

The current levels are very close and don't need adjustment.
    Fit a few square inches of aluminium plate to the MUR rectifiers and it will bring the temperature down, like I did to Oli's.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast