+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: DCB1 TURBO BUILD @600Ma

I'm Keith.

So managed to do a bit of metal cutting, drilling and tapping last night. Fets mounted on a piece of 90mm x 160mm x 10mm aluminium plate bolted to the case floor and a piece of 2mm aluminium angle bolted to the MURs and a piece of the 10mm plate bolted to the angle.
    The mod to the rectifier has worked nicely and they are now just warm to the touch.
    However, the Fets seem to be hotter and the aluminium plate is very hot. I am going to use some of the angle and a piece of the plate bolted to the bottom plate and the side of the case to the right of the photo to try and spread a bit of the thermal load.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Garrard 401, Groovemaster 2, Arche headshell, Miyajima Shilabe, Paradise Phono amp,
    Aqua La Voce dac
    Salas DCB1
    Najda active crossover and DSP.
    Crown XLi 1500 x 2 bridged, Neurochrome Mod 86 monos, Guy Sergeant Hiraga Le Monstre,
    DIY open baffle with 18" Fane Colossus XB, Beyma 12p80ND and Beyma TPL150H with BK XLS 400 sub.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keith1962 View Post
    So managed to do a bit of metal cutting, drilling and tapping last night. Fets mounted on a piece of 90mm x 160mm x 10mm aluminium plate bolted to the case floor and a piece of 2mm aluminium angle bolted to the MURs and a piece of the 10mm plate bolted to the angle.
    The mod to the rectifier has worked nicely and they are now just warm to the touch.
    However, the Fets seem to be hotter and the aluminium plate is very hot. I am going to use some of the angle and a piece of the plate bolted to the bottom plate and the side of the case to the right of the photo to try and spread a bit of the thermal load.

Ok, couple of things:

The wiring from selector switch to SA shouldn't be wound together. That engourages cross talk. I'd separate them,

The metal plate from the FETs to the casework won't be transferring the heat well unless you've used thermal paste which I didn't read as you have.

I'd remove the aluminium plate and use some jumper wires to the FETs and mount them directly to the case work. Or add thermal paste between the please and case.

I'm Keith.

Thanks Oliver, and yes, already had thermal paste on order so will use that next time I dismantle. I have a 100Va Toroidy on the way to replace the 40Va in there at present and need to do the SA mounting so plenty of opportunities to apply the paste.
    Do all of the signal cables from input to selector, selector to SA and SA to outputs need to be uncoiled?
    KR
    Keith.

Garrard 401, Groovemaster 2, Arche headshell, Miyajima Shilabe, Paradise Phono amp,
    Aqua La Voce dac
    Salas DCB1
    Najda active crossover and DSP.
    Crown XLi 1500 x 2 bridged, Neurochrome Mod 86 monos, Guy Sergeant Hiraga Le Monstre,
    DIY open baffle with 18" Fane Colossus XB, Beyma 12p80ND and Beyma TPL150H with BK XLS 400 sub.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keith1962 View Post
    Thanks Oliver, and yes, already had thermal paste on order so will use that next time I dismantle. I have a 100Va Toroidy on the way to replace the 40Va in there at present and need to do the SA mounting so plenty of opportunities to apply the paste.
    Do all of the signal cables from input to selector, selector to SA and SA to outputs need to be uncoiled?
    KR
    Keith.

Yes, you need that paste!

I kept my wiring separate for that reason. Alan suggested it's preferable when we spoke.

I'm Gary.

If I remember my heat transfer stuff a thick piece of material does not make a good heatsink. You need a large surface area, hence fins on commercial heatsinks.

Thick material will retain heat rather than dissipate it.

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Simon.

Heres a balanced one....

https://flic.kr/p/2ehXqxp
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    Heres a balanced one....

https://flic.kr/p/2ehXqxp
    Yours? That looks epic

I'm Simon.

No, not mine, I'm happy with the Rc khozmo BPBP.

I
    Pinnochio on diyauduo, he's selling it $600, cheap with those Goldpoints and that case.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    No, not mine, I'm happy with the Rc khozmo BPBP.

I
    Pinnochio on diyauduo, he's selling it $600, cheap with those Goldpoints and that case.
    Wow, yes, that's a very good price

I'm Ian.

Thinking about trying one of these, if one comes up for sale, but how big a risk is dc on the output? Having used valve pre I always follow the adage power amps on last , off first

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast