+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: DCB1 TURBO BUILD @600Ma

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJo View Post
    He should wrap it up and tell you you're not allowed to open it until Christmas morning
    Don't give him ideas!!!

I'm Keith.

Mine has been running with 10 ohm resistors so I think about 200ish ma output while i wait for 100 va traffo and 1.4R ish resistors to get to 600 ish ma output. In the meantime for the last 10days i have been swapping volume controllers. Started with a DACT which was very hifi, detailed, clean, open but ultimately sterile and too hifi with an emphasis on the leading edge. Khozmo shunt was tonally better and more balanced between leading edge and decay but a bit flat and uninvolving. Acoustic Dimension was detailed and open with good balance between leading edge and decay but much more involving. Have tried apps black beauty, tkd 2511 and noble (large black pot) and while they are nice i prefer the stepped attenuator clarity. The Acoustic Dimension seems to hit the spot for me so far.
    KR
    Keith
    Garrard 401, Groovemaster 2, Arche headshell, Miyajima Shilabe, Paradise Phono amp,
    Aqua La Voce dac
    Salas DCB1
    Najda active crossover and DSP.
    Crown XLi 1500 x 2 bridged, Neurochrome Mod 86 monos, Guy Sergeant Hiraga Le Monstre,
    DIY open baffle with 18" Fane Colossus XB, Beyma 12p80ND and Beyma TPL150H with BK XLS 400 sub.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by keith1962 View Post
    Mine has been running with 10 ohm resistors so I think about 200ish ma output while i wait for 100 va traffo and 1.4R ish resistors to get to 600 ish ma output. In the meantime for the last 10days i have been swapping volume controllers. Started with a DACT which was very hifi, detailed, clean, open but ultimately sterile and too hifi with an emphasis on the leading edge. Khozmo shunt was tonally better and more balanced between leading edge and decay but a bit flat and uninvolving. Acoustic Dimension was detailed and open with good balance between leading edge and decay but much more involving. Have tried apps black beauty, tkd 2511 and noble (large black pot) and while they are nice i prefer the stepped attenuator clarity. The Acoustic Dimension seems to hit the spot for me so far.
    KR
    Keith
    Very interesting, Keith. I'll be hearing the ADSA tomorrow and am looking forward to it. Unfortunately it won't be in the DCB1 for a direct comparison.

I'm surprised you felt the Khozmo was uninvolving because that certainly isn't what I have felt using it. However, the Acoustic Dimensions could be something rather special which would explain your findings.

I really am excited by this and knowing Alan's KIN as well as I do, this could be very interesting

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by keith1962 View Post
    KR
    Keith
    Hi Keith

With the 10ohm resistors in place you would be lucky if you were pushing anything more than 150 to 160mA.
    I had 8.2ohm and was only at 180 to 190ish.
    I too have the urge to try the Acoustic Dimension but could never describe the Khozmo as ( a bit flat and uninvolving) I only ever found it to be utterly transparent.

S.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Keith.

Ah, should get a decent step up going to 600ish ma then.
    Remember with the attenuator the Khozmo is a shunt type with Amtrans resistors in the shunt position. The Dact was very impressive in that HiFi way, too much leading edge for me. The Khozmo was better with more realistic tone to me and the AD felt like there was more depth on top of that.
    I still have them so will put the Khozmo back in again. I think the shunt arrangement might be causing the difference.and the accepted wisdom does seem to be to go for ladder or series attenuator rather than shunt.
    KR
    Keith
    Garrard 401, Groovemaster 2, Arche headshell, Miyajima Shilabe, Paradise Phono amp,
    Aqua La Voce dac
    Salas DCB1
    Najda active crossover and DSP.
    Crown XLi 1500 x 2 bridged, Neurochrome Mod 86 monos, Guy Sergeant Hiraga Le Monstre,
    DIY open baffle with 18" Fane Colossus XB, Beyma 12p80ND and Beyma TPL150H with BK XLS 400 sub.

Bigman80 Guest

Its done!!!

Still waiting for the acrylic front panel which I believe is arriving today. Fingers crossed.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Nice ! looks really good , especially with the devilishly fiery glow of hot muzak emanating from it!

got my bits from teabag this week so am plotting my next moves for the xmas build

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Nice ! looks really good , especially with the devilishly fiery glow of hot muzak emanating from it!

got my bits from teabag this week so am plotting my next moves for the xmas build
    Thanks mate. I'm plotting on how to make it visible all the time. I need a slight rearrange of the kit.

Sound wise, already it's surpassed my expectations. Just need the front panel to finish it off.

I'm Steve.

Hi Oliver
    I did say your gonna love the turbo dcb1
    Really glad your loving it

Now on to my dual mono DCB1 build..

Steve
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Oliver
    I did say your gonna love the turbo dcb1
    Really glad your loving it

Now on to my dual mono DCB1 build..

Steve
    You did mate. I knew it though. After the 50mA, 200mA versions, I thought it was blatantly obvious that it got better as the mA went up!

What I didn't expect was just how much of an improvement each increment would be.

The Audionote resistors are a marvel too. So much cleaner IMO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast