+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Monitor Audio Reference 705 PMC

I'm Mike.

Ok so i picked up the speakers last night, the guy i bought them off on ebay did a great job of packing them and had a mate of his that took them all the way to Liverpool for me so it saved me a trip down to Oxfordshire this weekend.

Visual impressions are very very good, the finish of the cabinets is 1st rate and they are heavy, really heavy given their size, i'll post some picks shortly.

I've not as yet had enough time to fully evaluate the sound quality, the issue i had with my trust old MS 45Ti's was that the top end was a bit fatiguing at high listening levels and over a longer session, also the bottom end was not as controlled as i would like. i played 1 vinyl LP (Curiosity Killed the Cat, keep your distance ) and a couple of CD's (Soul 2 Soul club classics vol 1 & Tracy Chapman) first impressions are very good, the top end is detailed but smooth and not as bright as the MS 45Ti's, so although i've not been sat in front of them for a long time it all looks good in that department. The bass was what i was concerned about as the MS 45Ti's have 8 inch drives and the 705'S only have 6 inch and in a slimmer smaller looking enclosure, all i can say is WOW, deeper, controlled so the bass is still part of the music and not a bi-product of poor control and trying too hard to go low.........

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Steve.

I was playing that Soul II Soul album a couple of days ago - track one (Keep on Moving) has a rather growly bass line which should be a good tester for your new babies.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Mike.

Yeh that album is a good test of bass control, too many speakers struggle with many of the tracks especially when you crank up the volume, the 705’s seem to have an almost vice like grip on the LF side of things quite refreshing really

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Steve.

Sent you a pm Mike.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12