+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Beatles Thread

I'm Geoff.

OK! So it's tenuous connections to the Beatles. I spent a month working on a project in Montserrat in 1989. George Martin, whose Air Studios were located on the Island, was staying at the same hotel as I was. We exchanged nods every morning over breakfast, but in those nods was a huge sub text about production techniques and audio engineering.

Half way through my stay we ate lunch in the same restaurant in the capital Plymouth. Whilst queuing for the buffet I grunted my recognition for his contribution to music. His shrug said more than words could say.

Geoff

I'm Martin.

Not sure many Beatles fans would think actually meeting George Martin was a tenuous connection!

Have you been back to Montserrat since the eruption? There's not a lot left. Really sad.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

had a pint with Jack Bruce once; he was a decent guy. not beatles obviously.....
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not sure many Beatles fans would think actually meeting George Martin was a tenuous connection!

Have you been back to Montserrat since the eruption? There's not a lot left. Really sad.
    The Islanders had it really tough. Just after we completed our report Montserrat was hit by Hurricane Hugo. There was extensive infrastructure damage and hardly a leaf left on any tree. I went back a few years later (1994?) to advise the government on the feasibility of a local social health insurance scheme. That was not long before the volcano erupted. Of course, at that time, the volcano was thought to be benign and visitors (myself included) were encouraged to visit the Soufriere Hills: a steamy smokey sulphurous outcrop. Unfortunately, the eruption hit the most developed part of the island leaving most of the infrastructure including Glendon Hospital under 40ft of volcanic ash and mud.

George Martin's studios were actually closed after Hugo rather than the volcano but the Island had a strong musical ethos. It was home to Soca musician (Arrow) who was brother to one of the senior health department officials I worked with. Midge Ure had a home on the island and would often be seen chilling or playing darts in the Green Gecko bar in Plymouth. The entire south of the island is now an exclusion zone and the population has fallen to around 5,000. Although tourism has restarted, it is unlikely to ever return to the island paradise it was twenty odd years ago.

Geoff

I'm Martin.

I was there in 2014, they are slowly getting it back together. But the volcano is still very active as we found out when we flew in too close.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Geoff.

I was there in 2014, they are slowly getting it back together. But the volcano is still very active as we found out when we flew in too close.
    Is the Vue Pointe Hotel running again? That was where all the celebs stayed including Sting, the Stones and of course GM. Did the get to try the Montserrat Roti and "Mountain Chicken". The latter is a huge frog with legs that resemble drumsticks.

Geoff

BTW: This is somewhat anachronistic but interesting glimpse into a former time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GtUE7QFUzA

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    Is the Vue Pointe Hotel running again? That was where all the celebs stayed including Sting, the Stones and of course GM. Did the get to try the Montserrat Roti and "Mountain Chicken". The latter is a huge frog with legs that resemble drumsticks.

Geoff

]
    I don't know, it was just a quick trip over from Antigua, not much time to look around. Plymouth is completely gone, just ruins, and all that is left of the original airport is one of the markers that was at the far end of the runway.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm joe.

I can do tenuous. Cilla Black used to visit my grandmother's sweetshop when she was a nipper. (Cilla, that is, not my grandmother). Even more tenuously, one of the Searchers went to my primary school.

I'm barry.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    had a pint with Jack Bruce once; he was a decent guy. not beatles obviously.....

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie View Post
    Jack was a decent bloke; Was Scottish too. forgot what they called themselves, Clem Clemson was there too..he was good.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast