+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beatles Thread

I'm barry.

Default The Beatles Thread

Just thought I would start a thread on a subject close to my heart The Beatles, so as not to clog up the White Album thread, feel free to post love em or not on all things fab four related.

I'm Josie.

I've grown up with them... to late to know of them in the charts etc... But I loves em, I do.

I don't have a bad album, I love every one.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com

Facebook

I'm Grant.

Talent is God given, Be humble.....
    Fame is man-given, Be grateful.....
    Conceit is self-given. Be careful........ a great quote from John Wooden I think....

the Beatles had all 3, but most folk do in that position.
    I came to like the Beatles around the time they released Abbey Rd; before that I couldn't stomach their pap. My sister was an avid fan and had all their singles, so that alone might have been the reason, although I like to think it was because i was, even at a young age into blues and then R&B... so the stones, Led Zep etc were my loves.
    Hard to think of any musicians who had more fame tbh, Elvis and Michael Jackson were perhaps as famous; Elvis maybe more so....But both they and the Beatles went a bit odd shall we say...some more so than others.
    Music wise they were, and probably still are an icon and without them the world would be a worse place. Ive got numerous albums on vinyl and cd, and listen a lot even to this day so they cant be half bad
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Richie.

i inherited a load of beatles vinyl from my ma in the summer, some of it quite collectable. I have recently been listening to it and really enjoying it. not given them that much time in the past. i have one version of Help! which would be worth billions, if it didn't have her homework written on the back...

Bigman80 Guest

As a kid, my old man would be playing their entire back catalogue, pretty much daily. When I learned to play the guitar, it was a Beatles song that i first learnt. Now my boys are aged 4 & 6 and I'm doing the same to them.

They were more than a band making music, they are THE example of how songwriting and musical influence still find relevance in today's world.

Timeless.

I'm Adam.

Being born in 1970, I've not properly listened to the Beatles....
    The tunes are SO familiar it is actually hard to listen to the music subjectively.
    So prompted by the recent reissue discussions here and the availability of good quality streams via Tidal, i'm going to give the Albums a fair crack.

Being a Jazz nut, I must say they had quite an impact on Jazz recording artists over the decades, as many producers tried to taste the Gravy from the Beatles epidemic. Many Jazz Lps feature at least 1 Fab Four cut, normally pretty shite if I'm honest.
    One of my favourite Lps is George Benson's The Other Side of Abbey Road. It's wonderful and I actually knew this record before becoming familiar with the Beatles tunes. It was recorded just 3 months after Abbey Road was released.
    Brad Mehldau does some great versions of Beatles tunes and really uses them as a spring board to go off in other directions. And I Love her on 10 years solo live, all 16 minutes of it... is an Epic! IMHO unmissable!

A strange connection to the Fab Four...
    I'm actually extremely good friends with son of the 5th Beatle!! Jimmy Nicol, great session drummer who sat in for sick Ringo in 1964, on The Beatles' Australasian tour, (although i quite like to believe my own fantasy that they twigged Ringo couldn't drum so drafted Jimmy in ) Subsequently it ruined Jimmy's life. He eventually went to ground and his son still has Journalists outside his London home hoping to get Jimmy Nicol's Beatle story..

The son, coincidentally and rather ironically, went on to win a BAFTA for his work as a sound man on the 'Beatles Anthology'. Strange world!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Steve.

I believe John Lennon was once asked in an interview: "Why Ringo Starr? He's not the best drummer in the world". To which John replied, "Ringo isn't the best drummer in The Beatles". Caustic bugger!

I think Ringo did a sterling job, plenty good enough for what needed doing.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Ringo is always a target lol but i thought him a decent drummer... not a genius but well good enough for what is, or were a pop band.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

My uncle Rod used to tell us this story: In 1958 he was the drummer in a jazz band until he was drafted into the Military Police and sent to Germany for 2 years. He had his own drum kit which he stored in the cubby hole in the local church hall. It was distinctive because the drums were painted with pictures of camels and palm trees. (This somehow related to the name of the band which I forget now).

In any case he gets out of the services and goes down to the church to get his drum kit. It isn't there. So he goes to the vicar and the vicar says 'Oh you know that Richard Starkey? He took it, said you wouldn't mind.'

Any road up we never really believed this story but about ten years ago some lost footage of the Beatles playing the Cavern Club came to light and was shown on TV. It's pretty grainy but you can just make out the camels and the palm trees on the drum kit Ringo is playing.

Anyway that's my claim to fame. Oh and I was at school with Pete Best's nephew.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    My uncle Rod used to tell us this story: In 1958 he was the drummer in a jazz band until he was drafted into the Military Police and sent to Germany for 2 years. He had his own drum kit which he stored in the cubby hole in the local church hall. It was distinctive because the drums were painted with pictures of camels and palm trees. (This somehow related to the name of the band which I forget now).

In any case he gets out of the services and goes down to the church to get his drum kit. It isn't there. So he goes to the vicar and the vicar says 'Oh you know that Richard Starkey? He took it, said you wouldn't mind.'

Any road up we never really believed this story but about ten years ago some lost footage of the Beatles playing the Cavern Club came to light and was shown on TV. It's pretty grainy but you can just make out the camels and the palm trees on the drum kit Ringo is playing.

Anyway that's my claim to fame. Oh and I was at school with Pete Best's nephew.
    That's a pretty good claim to fame!

Mine is that I had a mate at school whose uncle went to see The Beatles but missed his train so went to the pub instead. Actually the lad was a friend of my brother's, not me. So a bit tenuous.

I once met Gary Glitter in a hotel lift...does that count?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast