+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Step-up Transformer

I'm Gareth.

Default Step-up Transformer

Hi all,

Looks like I've managed to get a good deal on an ex-demo Croft Acoustic RIAA phono stage. I currently have a high output MC cartridge (Dynavector 10x5), but if I did decide to go down the road of low output MC cart, what step-up transformer should I invest in, given the rest of my system?

Again, I don't want to spend a fortune. I'm intending to cover the cost of the Croft by selling my Lehmann Black Cube SE, which of course handles low output MC carts.

Or should I just stick to high output carts?

Thanks again
    Regards
    Gareth

Michell Gyrodec SE/Jelco SA-750D/Nagaoka MP-500/Logitech Squeezebox Touch/Tag Mclaren PPA20/Croft Acoustics Line Only Micro 25R Pre/Croft Acoustics Series 7 Power/iFi Audio iDSD DAC with iFi Audio iUSBPower/PMC Twenty 22 Loudspeakers/Isolda DCT300 Tonearm cable/Klotz MC5000 Interconnects/Atacama SE20 Speaker Stands/Sennheiser HD600 Headphones/Michell HR Power Supply/Mark Grant 8-Way Mains Block

I'm Hugo.

On the basis of my visit to Martin's, I have taken the plunge and one of these http://www.bobsdevices.com/cinemag.htm is on its way from the States. With an AT33PTG, it did produce a most impressive performance, for very reasonable money.

I'm Dave.

The Puresound T10 is an excellent device but it does depend on your budget.

I'm Gareth.

I had seen both of those suggestions; 300 quid though! Is the extra outlay going to produce significant improvements over a high output cart such as my 10x5?

Why hasn't Glenn Croft produced an MC stage then?

Regards
    Gareth

Michell Gyrodec SE/Jelco SA-750D/Nagaoka MP-500/Logitech Squeezebox Touch/Tag Mclaren PPA20/Croft Acoustics Line Only Micro 25R Pre/Croft Acoustics Series 7 Power/iFi Audio iDSD DAC with iFi Audio iUSBPower/PMC Twenty 22 Loudspeakers/Isolda DCT300 Tonearm cable/Klotz MC5000 Interconnects/Atacama SE20 Speaker Stands/Sennheiser HD600 Headphones/Michell HR Power Supply/Mark Grant 8-Way Mains Block

I'm Dave.

Because Glenn is a London/Decca man and when you have one of those singing, there is not much else worth bothering with...

Actually, Glenn did make MC phono stages many years ago but was never happy with the results.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    On the basis of my visit to Martin's, I have taken the plunge and one of these
    Excellent stuff, Hugo, I love my CineMag SUT. It gave such a lift in performance over using the AT33PTG direct into the MC input that I was really quite shocked.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Erm, and who enlightened you to that fact, dear chap?

SUTs rule!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Oh yes, listening to your A23 SUT certainly made me break mine out of storage and get it going with the Whest. I had actually bought it to solve a different problem but in the end it was a total rediscovery.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Gary,

Hi all,

Looks like I've managed to get a good deal on an ex-demo Croft Acoustic RIAA phono stage. I currently have a high output MC cartridge (Dynavector 10x5), but if I did decide to go down the road of low output MC cart, what step-up transformer should I invest in, given the rest of my system?
    I'm a firm believer in that (if possible) MC cartridges and SUTs should be designed together by the same manufacturer, so that the electrical requirements of a specific cartridge (gain, loading, etc) are optimised, and both are voiced to perform as a matched pair. This is precisely why the A23 SUT works so well with the Denon DL-103.

Therefore, rather than buying *any* SUT available, the question I'd ask is which low output MC cartridge did you have in mind? With that information, I can try and give a suitable recommendation

Or should I just stick to high output carts?
    Nope. In my opinion, high output MCs are a massive sonic compromise. Budget models such as the Denon DL-110/160 are fine, but I wouldn't waste money on anything more expensive.

If you don't go down the low output MC/SUT route, you'd be far better going for the likes of a Decca, like Dave says (with a different arm), or one of the superb new Nagaoka MMs on the market, both of which would sound amazing through the Croft's fabulous all-valve MM phono stage.

I hope that helps!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

My AT-650 SUT didnīt rule with my Troika Iīm afraid. My Hagerman Piccolo head amp walks all over it into my P10. And itīs quieter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast