+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: best buy interconnect cables.

Bigman80 Guest

"Best buy" is always very subjective. Personally, I would not buy from a brand like Rega/Chord and others, who add 400% to the build price. Effectively for a £100 cable, you are getting £25 worth of material.

For me, that's not a "best buy"

There are manufacturers out there using RG316U which is about £2 per meter and charging £200+ for a 2m pair of cables. It's atrocities like this that give hifi a bad name.

Best value is always DIY although I'd avoid Klotz like the plague. Terribly veiled.

If you can solder, get some MSAudio plugs and a couple of meters of Mogami negflex and have a great pair of cables for about £30.

They will be better than the price suggests.

As I said, you're welcome to loan the SPOTFIRE cables doing the rounds and see how they compare. No obligation to buy, just give them some feedback.

In fact, give me a shout and I'll make you a pair of Mogami if you need something cheap and cheerful.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    All depends what you mean by best buy - Oli's SPOTFIRE interconnects are better than most at any price imo.

In a cheaper band, at about £10 for a 1.5m pair Hitachi LCOFC cable is hard to beat. Not sure if it's still available.

Chord Silver Siren is a step up from that at about £40 used a pair. Very nice. Definitely a sweet spot in their range.
    Just seen this,

Thanks Jerry, we may not agree on preamps but I agree on the cables

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Duelund DCA20GA tinned copper multistrand wire in cotton and oil ... £5.50 +vat
    pretty darn amazing at any money, add some shield if using between SUT and phono.
    plenty of reviews online. Hifi collective will make them up if you don't want to faff about
    https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wir...insulated.html
    Hi Adam, any idea how they compare to the Spotfire? I need some cables but can't test either before purchase... Is shielding ONLY advisable between SUT and phono?

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    Hi Adam, any idea how they compare to the Spotfire? I need some cables but can't test either before purchase... Is shielding ONLY advisable between SUT and phono?
    You don't really need a shielded cable between digital components and I've used plenty of cables like that between a cd player and preamp for example.

Where it did have an effect was between turntable/SUT/Preamp chain. Terrible hum.

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    You don't really need a shielded cable between digital components and I've used plenty of cables like that between a cd player and preamp for example.

Where it did have an effect was between turntable/SUT/Preamp chain. Terrible hum.
    Thanks for the info Oli, have you also tried the Duelund cable? Any impressions? It seems rather well thought of..

I'm Kevin.

This cable here https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wir...ect-cable.html with a decent set of plugs on is probably all you really need.

I am interested in trying the Deuland(?) to see how that performs.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    Thanks for the info Oli, have you also tried the Duelund cable? Any impressions? It seems rather well thought of..
    I haven't tried it in my system. I have heard it but in the context of the system it was in.

I can't really judge it based on that but I didn't go and buy any. If you want some made, give me a shout, I'll have a look at it for you.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    This cable here https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wir...ect-cable.html with a decent set of plugs on is probably all you really need.

I am interested in trying the Deuland(?) to see how that performs.
    I've seen that cable used before Kevin and the maker adds on quite a hefty markup . I'm afraid I wasn't keen on it and sold it on . After trying hundreds of cables I'm still using the Klotz MC5000 which still sounds excellent in my system .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    I've seen that cable used before Kevin and the maker adds on quite a hefty markup . I'm afraid I wasn't keen on it and sold it on . After trying hundreds of cables I'm still using the Klotz MC5000 which still sounds excellent in my system .
    Do you prefer the Klotz to the Spotfire Brian?

I'm Brian.

Yes . I've heard the Spotfire a few times and still prefer the Klotz . Horses for courses I suppose .
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123