+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice about pre amps wanted

I'm Ian.

The Chinese passive arrived today and I'm very pleased with performance. Obviously it's not in the same league as Steve's DCB1 I was lucky enough to have in my system yesterday but it does do it's thing very well. I started this thread because I was looking for a pre amp with a remote control for at least the volume and the Chinese one fitted the bill, great I thought, sorted. Imagine how annoyed I was to find that the bloody remote doesn't work!. I've sent a message to the seller so hopefully they will send a replacement. Sods law I guess lol.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Lee.

Been thinking about the Chinese one myself,how is the build quality? Has anyone heard the chevron audio or the khozmo passive?

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    .... to find that the bloody remote doesn't work!.
    It says on the web site that they are shipped without battery, you need to fit one, a CR2032.
    You do need to remove the pcb after the back panel to get to the battery holder.

@Lee. The build quality is good. The Khozmo is better, but the remote for it is expensive and large.

I'm Steve.

The Chinese passive arrived today and I'm very pleased with performance. Obviously it's not in the same league as Steve's DCB1 I was lucky enough to have in my system yesterday but it does do it's thing very well. I started this thread because I was looking for a pre amp with a remote control for at least the volume and the Chinese one fitted the bill, great I thought, sorted. Imagine how annoyed I was to find that the bloody remote doesn't work!. I've sent a message to the seller so hopefully they will send a replacement. Sods law I guess lol.
    Hi Ian
    Enjoy your little chinese job, its really quite good for the money
    Cheers for you comments on the Dcb1, can't really compare the dcb1 to the Chinese job as its 4 times the price.
    At least you got your remote mate .
    S.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Leeken View Post
    Been thinking about the Chinese one myself,how is the build quality? Has anyone heard the chevron audio or the khozmo passive?
    Hi Lee

As Alan says, the Khozmo is better but i would still speak to Alan and get him to fit a buffer, it makes quite a difference to the sound. Still, you can't complain how the Chinese pre sound, very good for very little money!!!

S.
    Turntable; Rega p8
    Cartridge; Alpheta mc
    Phono Stage; Rega Aria, Bigbottle 3 mm/mc
    Amplifier; Rega Elicit
    Speakers; Rega Rx3

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    It says on the web site that they are shipped without battery, you need to fit one, a CR2032.
    You do need to remove the pcb after the back panel to get to the battery holder.

@Lee. The build quality is good. The Khozmo is better, but the remote for it is expensive and large.
    I was all prepared, new pack of batteries and a mains lead as it doesn't come with one of those either. I've tried several batteries, just in case, but no joy. The seller has got back to me already and is happy to sort it out one way or another, can't say fairer than that.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by STD305M View Post
    Hi Ian
    Enjoy your little chinese job, its really quite good for the money
    Cheers for you comments on the Dcb1, can't really compare the dcb1 to the Chinese job as its 4 times the price.
    At least you got your remote mate .
    S.
    Your DCB1 is way better and I will be the owner of one soon, hint, hint. In fact if I could have got my paws on it Sunday I would have motorised myself and not worried about remote controls
    Turntable
    CD
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

I'm Julian.

Looks like we have bought the same amp - whilst I'm pretty happy with the amp itself, the remote control was DOA and must be the most poorly designed piece of crap I have ever seen!
    Imagine having to remove the PCB just to change a battery - what on earth were they thinking?

I am hoping to get a replacement sorted soon.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by julesd68 View Post
    Looks like we have bought the same amp - whilst I'm pretty happy with the amp itself, the remote control was DOA and must be the most poorly designed piece of crap I have ever seen!
    Imagine having to remove the PCB just to change a battery - what on earth were they thinking?

I am hoping to get a replacement sorted soon.
    I've had a very close look at the remote's PCB and found where the battery holder is attached there is no actual electrical contact, it's just glued in place. I'm going to try soldering it in place to the PCB connections. The seller Min is being very helpful though so hope fully we will get working handsets eventually. I have to agree with you Julian it is a piss poor design that needs the PCB removing to change a battery, strange when the actual handset is made from a solid piece of aluminium and not a plastic cheapy.
    Turntable
    CD
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Speakers
    Cables
    Headphones

I'm Julian.

I've had a very close look at the remote's PCB and found where the battery holder is attached there is no actual electrical contact, it's just glued in place.
    Yes I found that out this morning when my battery holder just came clean off when I was taking the battery out!
    I'm hoping for a replacement asap but with the time difference it isn't the quickest communication.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast