+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Windsor Hi-Fi Show Live 2018 - Any views?

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Totally agree. And you go to these shows where the rooms are identical in every respect and one bloke is getting a good sound and next door is not.
    Lotta bollocks spoken about room acoustics.

It is relevant, but still, I maintain the above statement.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    Were the heritage JBL L100s being demoed?
    No.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    So .... the cable lifters didn't do a lot of good, then?
    No - definitely a downlifting experience

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Lotta bollocks spoken about room acoustics.

It is relevant, but still, I maintain the above statement.
    Yep. And don't get me started on the 'This hundred grand system would sound awesome but the mains supply in these hotels is so polluted it is making it sound unlistenable.'

If you believe that come and see me about purchasing some beach front property in Nevada.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalsea View Post
    I found these to sound very congested and I am starting to think the old excuse of the hotel rooms not being good is just that, an excuse. Some setups sound fantastic even in tiny rooms with obvious room modes and ceiling tiles flapping. The room detracts from the presentation in a few areas but overall the good gear shines through. I'm starting to think that a lot of high end gear is just not very good no matter where it is placed.
    Yup. To me, some high end equipment simply does not sound that great.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yep. And don't get me started on the 'This hundred grand system would sound awesome but the mains supply in these hotels is so polluted it is making it sound unlistenable.'

If you believe that come and see me about purchasing some beach front property in Nevada.
    Lol... First of all, many thanks again to Justers for taking the time to post some great pictures and add comment, which has helped give folks who didn't attend the show that feeling of 'being there'. Always appreciated bro, so keep up the good work!

In terms of the above, as ever it's a question of context, and also one of demonstrating a love for and pride in what you're doing... Adding some room treatment (within reason) and addressing the undoubtedly poor mains quality in hotel rooms, compared with what we're likely to enjoy at home, if successfully implemented, *will* always improve matters.

However, NEITHER bad mains nor poor room acoustics should make a system sound fundamentally broken. It will simply hinder its potential, but then there has to exist some potential in the first place! If equipment intrinsically sounds shit, then it won't matter a jot whether it's hard-wired to the national grid with 99.99999% pure-silver cable or housed in the most acoustically optimal room known to man!

In my experience, the best sounding rooms at shows are invariably ones which satisfy the following criteria:

1) The system in question has been properly thought out, in terms of the components chosen complimenting each other sonically and electrically, rather than assembled from a disparate collection of parts, cobbled together at the last minute, simply to fulfil an obligation. And rather crucially, the right speakers have been chosen for the room they'll be going into!

2) The day or night before the public are due to arrive, the demonstrator in question cared more about setting up the system properly, paying proper attention to every aspect of optimising its sonic presentation, *especially in terms of ensuring optimal speaker positioning* and eliminating, as far as possible, any 'room boom' or other obvious and undesirable sonic aberrations, than being first to bar!

3) The system in question is capable of playing a wide variety of ('real world') music, to a good standard, and not simply undemanding, yawn-inducing audiophile pap, at whisper levels, which would sound good on a clock radio, and at a realistic volume level, but not so loudly as to 'excite' the room in a bad way or that highlights the limitations of the system.

Plus it also helps if the demonstrator is himself or herself a music lover and able to use the system in question to demonstrate that fact advantageously, so that people attending leave the room having both been stimulated/impressed by the sound the system produced *and* in the choice of music used.

Generally speaking, the systems which get all or most of the above right will produce a more than acceptable result in ANY hotel room and leave punters happy!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456