+ Reply to Thread

Thread: FS: Technics 1210 M5g Audiophile Build

I'm Ron.

Default FS: Technics 1210 M5g Audiophile Build

This is a custom built Technics SL-1210M5g turntable. It is perfect and the only reason I'm selling is that I've upgraded to a matching McIntosh table that fits in better with my whole system and I just don't have room to keep 3 total tables. This started as a low-hour back-up table that had sat in my storage for many years. It was used purely for listening to vinyl, never used for professional use, DJ's, scratching, etc. It had maybe 50-100 total hours on it before the project.

In 2017, while building a dedicated 2 channel system, I decided to upgrade it to match the performance of the rest of the system in the room. To say this is going to be the nicest 1200 you ever see is an understatement. The only mod I stopped short of doing was a tone-arm replacement, and that's only because I had yet to decide which arm would work best (was leaning towards the Origin Live Silver but was waiting to hear it in a demo first). The stock M5G model already has an upgraded tone-arm and wiring from the factory over previous MK models and I have no complaints with the sound or performance...but I'm not one to leave well enough alone, lol. A perfectly fine 1210m5g was disassembled and the following mods were made:

Audio Upgrades:
    -Mike New solid brass bearing assembly upgrade ($1000)
    -Timestep HE III PSU, black anodized external housing, this removed the internal power supply & significantly lowered the noise floor of the deck overall. ($700)
    -Transparent Audio RCA termination block, custom made by Transparent and soldered to PCBoard, Gold plated RCA posts are mounted to rear of deck, Super level wires used, allows you to use your own RCA cables! To me the biggest PITA with the 1200's is the cheap factory cables attached to the body. Now, the wiring has been upgraded and you have an attached RCA plate so you can use cables of your choice ($500)
    -Isonoe Isolation Feet, silver ($100)
    -Herbies Way Excellent II 4mm mat ($75)

Cosmetic Upgrades:
    -Mercedes-Benz 010 black paint w/silver metallic flakes, 3 layers of clear. Mimics the stop speckled black paint but with a lot more "pop". Paintjob was done by MB official automotive paint shop ($750)
    -Silver metallic lettering reproduced and applied UNDER last layer of clear coat
    -LED light replacements; red power light, blue cue light ($50)
    -Anodized black aluminum buttons installed across the top deck ($100)
    -Red anodized aluminum power button ($25)
    -Knurled black anodized aluminum tone-arm lift levers ($25)
    -MK2 removable lid hinge assembly installed (m5g has no hinges and only rested ontop), new OEM acrylic cover was installed

Not pictures but included:
    -Original Technics OEM M5G headshell
    -Original (unused) Technics OEM rubber mat

Pictured here but not included (available for additional purchase)
    -Ortofon Quintet Black S MC Cartridge, Nude Shibata diamond stylus, Saphire cantilever ($1000)
    -Ortofon LH8000 Headshell ($180)
    -Ortofon LW800S Headshell Leads ($80)
    *The Transparent RCA cables and Transparent Power Cable are NOT included. You can use the cables of your choice.

The table is in Philadelphia, PA USA, set for 110v, 50/60Hz. Willing to ship worldwide if needed. This has been used for about 10 total LP's over the last 2 months since I completed the build. I have a little over $3,000 in all the mods (not to mention time), in addition to the value of the table itself ($1500-$2000 for a perfect M5G). With only the stock Technics M5G headshell, I'm asking $3000 USD. With the Ortofon headshell/cartridge set-up I'm asking $4,000 USD (it's currently set-up with this kit).

Last edited by Mille162; 10-11-2018 at 19:50. Reason: pic link correction

I'm jamie.

you need to post pictures of the items for sale,otherwise the mods will delete the post
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

I'm Geoff.

Where are the obligatory photos? Read the selling rules! Please sort this very promptly, thanks.

I'm Ron.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie123 View Post
    you need to post pictures of the items for sale,otherwise the mods will delete the post
    For some reason the pics keep failing to upload.

I also uploaded it to craigslist and the pics can be seen there: https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...745763354.html

I'm John.

Pictures are showing just fine. Good luck with the sale.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm jamie.

yep,i can see them ok now,good luck
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread