+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IPL speakers finished

I'm Martin.

What sort of budget? I know a couple of people who think ten grand is 'not that expensive.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Jonathan.

im looking at up to £500 used, no point going mad for trial and error.

I'm Martin.

See if you can get an XTZ A100 - should be about £400 used. 115 watts into 8 ohm, and high current, it will drive almost anything to the max.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm Jonathan.

thanks macca, interesting although its a bit too big for my unit. I had spotted as a result the xtz edge a2-300 and although Ive never got on with d-class amps this one looks interesting.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Longmanjon View Post
    thanks macca, interesting although its a bit too big for my unit. I had spotted as a result the xtz edge a2-300 and although Ive never got on with d-class amps this one looks interesting.
    Can't speak for their class D stuff, never owned it or heard it. I have an inbuilt suspicion of switching amps that probably isn't really justified. I'm old school, me
    Current Lash Up:

I'm matt.

Quote Originally Posted by oceanobsession View Post
    more stuffing better bass but to much gets boomy
    I haven't played with Transmission lines but surely more stuffing would give tighter bass?

Thinking about it, maybe more stuffing is reducing the vent cross sectional area and lowering the tuning frequency? If that's the case, too much stuffing could reduce midbass and possibly lower midrange.

Sorry if this is all wrong, i'm just guessing here...

I'm Jerry.

They look great. I use my IPL's with a Croft series 7 power amp and it seems to be a good partnership. Can't say I have noticed mid-range drop out myself.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Jonathan.

Well I finally took the plunge, and thought I may have to use the 30 day money back return. But the XTZ Edge 300 is an amazing little amp. I was still able to get the offer of £390 for it and goodness it s worth the money and more.
    I had previ9ously tried class D amps and have never been impressed with them, but this things it great. Has plenty of power and bass grip, but the general overall presentation is fantastic. it took me one track in comparing to the Naim Atom I have it connected to, and I knew I will keep it.
    Very clear open sound, with lots of soundstage but the main thing is it makes the IPL sings as they should.

If anyone is looking for a new amp and has a limited budget, give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I'm Simon.

Is that the new one they were showing at the last hifi show with the power amp and their standmounts, decent sounding kit I thought, for beer bottle money.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Jonathan.

yes I think it was released earlier in the year

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast