+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Went Round To Oliver's (Bigman)...

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    So your getting cabs for your Tannoys sorted out at last Martin? Who by? The guy Marco used for his motor?

Yes same bloke. It's not a rush job but I'm hoping to have them before Xmas.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Yes same bloke. It's not a rush job but I'm hoping to have them before Xmas.
    Ooh, that's convenient, I have a week off. Perfect for auditioning speakers

I'm gordan.

I fully understand the passion for these speakers. Some time ago I've heard a rather similar vintage Marantz boxes driven by a vintage Marantz reciever - both untouched since 70's (in terms of servicing or whatsoever). Inherited by a female friend so no audiophile BS attached. It left me not only amazed but shocked how we are all mislead in terms of progress in audio.

I wouldn't sell them anyway (and I would be especially cautious with any contemporary forensic speakers)...
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    I fully understand the passion for these speakers. Some time ago I've heard a rather similar vintage Marantz boxes driven by a vintage Marantz reciever - both untouched since 70's (in terms of servicing or whatsoever). Inherited by a female friend so no audiophile BS attached. It left me not only amazed but shocked how we are all mislead in terms of progress in audio.

I wouldn't sell them anyway (and I would be especially cautious with any contemporary forensic speakers)...
    I somewhat agree and I own a set of 1972 Akais from the same school of design. IME a good set of modern speakers are more revealing and consequently will show up flaws in the upstream kit (added to which many modern designs are not an easy load like the old school speakers are). Amplification is the heart of the system.

In any case Oli will get to try the JM Labs at length in his own room before deciding if he is going to have them so there's no need for caution in this particular case.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post

Hi Gordon,

Yes they are, in my opinion, beautiful speakers. Both visually and sonically.
    Truth be known, I had considered selling the back in March. My suspended floor really isn't helping and I felt I'd be better off getting something more suitable. They have been superb here and I really do love them.

If I do decide to move them on, it's going to take something quite special to replace them. Speakers are the most difficult bit to get right IMO and unfortunately, I have only heard one pair of speakers I thought I might go for. Luckily they were Macca's JMLabs!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234