+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Subjective tests that proves audiophiles can hear differences?

I'm Dennis.

Actually Marco the chickens were of a similar category, all non free range and non corn fed, and of comparable marketing position. Of course keeping only one variable must be done to maximise a difference 'proof'.

It has taken me a year to habituate to my Betas, and I have spent much of that time thinking I had made a mistake, and because I had habituated to my own (relatively) flawed design, for several years.
    But last evening, and believe it or not, on a two hour FM programme I realised just what they can, and do do; it is the best sound I have ever had by far, and it this because of what they don't do.

I'm Neil.

Default Subjective tests that proves audiophiles can hear differences?

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    The only evidence you need is your ears.
    The scale of any observable differences will be dependent on the supporting kit, but I for one have heard a big improvement with a better I/C.
    I agree, which is precisely why you need to get your eyes and awareness of what variable is being changed out of the way.

Each time I make a little change, it is almost like my brain is trying to listen out for it. It’s easy to mistake this for a difference.

ABX testing works well if you are very aware of the system i.e. it’s your own, but falls flat on its arse IMO with unfamiliar gear, too many new variables. Perhaps this is why it gets a bad rap.
    Last edited by Yomanze; 23-11-2018 at 18:15.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomanze View Post
    I agree, which is precisely why you need to get your eyes and awareness of what variable is being changed out of the way.

Each time I make a little change, it is almost like my brain is trying to listen out for it. It’s easy to mistake this for a difference.

ABX testing works well if you are very aware of the system i.e. it’s your own, but falls flat on its arse IMO with unfamiliar gear, too many new variables. Perhaps this is why it gets a bad rap.
    When you demo new equipment you're doing exactly the same thing though, listening to unfamiliar gear.

ABX testing is infallible right up to the point when somebody disagrees with results lol
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Graham.

Well, I have a set of interconnects that sound like shite compared to the Fisual Rio interconnects that I replaced them with and this result is consistently repeatable by simple comparison with any good music. So there!
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Martin.

The problem is people have no idea how cognition works; fact is we 'hear' with our brains and the brain adds all sorts to the mix from all the information it has available, not just what it receives via the ears. So we are all subject to hearing effects and changes that simply don't exist. This is a classic bake-off tale, nicked from another forum:

The cables were very expensive JPS. They came in a very nice Aluminium box. There were speaker cables and mains cables. The owner was very enthusiastic about the performance gains. Due to Geoff (Oldius) have two big rooms for the bake off, it was a ideal stiuation to try some cable swapping.
    To make it straight forward, we decided to try just a mains lead on the amplifier. The amp was a very fine sounding Lentek amp. Two cables were used, a JPS mains cable and a normal "kettle lead" mains cable. We initially went from Kettle lead then JPS lead, then swopping back and forth. Both the leads were plugged into a mains block and each was swapped over when in use. The amp volume was kept the same.
    The cables were swapped quite a few times. TBH, most of the people listening couldn't here a difference between the two. The owner of the cables seemed to be ecstatic when his JPS cables were in place. This did led to some people looking perplexed.
    Each time I changed the cable, I had to go behind the equipment and out of sight. As I was going to change the cable to the JPS, I had the brainwave of not changing the "kettle lead". I popped my head up and said "ready".
    So people thought the cable that they were listening to was the JPS. I did the "change" a few times, each time popping out of sight behind the equipment & not changing anything plus keeping the "kettle lead" in. Most didn't hear differences but the owner and maybe one or two others thought it was loads better when they thought the JPS was in.
    After doing this a few times, I got a fellow bake off buff to observe what I was doing and to keep quiet.
    I addressed the audience asking if they could hear big differences and asked what they heard in the last change. The owner did wax lyrically about the JPS. But then I dropped the bombshell of not changing the cables. The witness backed it up. Their were interesting looks on people's faces

Not that it stops me from doing sighted comparisons because it is fun and proper blind AB or ABX procedures are tedious in the extreme. But findings from sighted tests should always be taken with a dose of salt. Even mine!
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Goldmund.
    6K and it was a repackaged 200 bucks Pioneer DVD player inside.
    Remember it as I had the Pioneer at the time.

For the record that pioneer DVD player has one of the best spdif outputs ever. Its outputs an actual square wave with incredibly low timing error as it uses a memory buffer output. Way ahead of any other transport.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Geoff.

Yup. I just love listening to those square waves.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post
    For the record that pioneer DVD player has one of the best spdif outputs ever. Its outputs an actual square wave with incredibly low timing error as it uses a memory buffer output. Way ahead of any other transport.
    Accepted, but that doesn't justify charging £6k for it.
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Dennis.

This thread is starting to provoke an 'itch' in me.

I have now what I consider a very good system in building block terms, but the whole issue of tweeks raises its head because I am wondering if I am sabotaging its performance with my, established with a previous set-up, view that cables, stands, spikes etc were inconsequential.

So guys, do I start again to re-evaluate my position? How certain is anybody that there is ground to be gained?

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    This thread is starting to provoke an 'itch' in me.

I have now what I consider a very good system in building block terms, but the whole issue of tweeks raises its head because I am wondering if I am sabotaging its performance with my, established with a previous set-up, view that cables, stands, spikes etc were inconsequential.

So guys, do I start again to re-evaluate my position? How certain is anybody that there is ground to be gained?
    Absolutely! I spent £20 on some sorbothane feet recently to try and isolate my valve amps a bit more from vibrations, and the difference was immediate, much better definition and detail (I was sceptical before, because of see expensive isolation platforms) see https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/291033962969?chn=ps as an example, if you use these then you need to but the right size for the weight of the gear you are putting on them. Also I have over the years replaced interconnects and have generally done so with home trials first and got a friend to blind swap them for me, for me there always has been a difference not always for the better, but I have ended up with what I like for my budget. Speaker cable can make quite a bit of difference as well.

Have fun.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast