+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Audio Origami Uniarm fitting

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Why ? Far better to have a straight through lead than a connection. Both my N.A. and A.O. arms have captive, and I wouldn't have it any other way after living with an SME Five for 14 years. Besides, adding a different phono lead to an arm lead really can't be good practice, surely.
    There is a connection. The arm isn't wired with VanDamme cable. It's just a soldered joint in the arm pillar rather than a plug.

I respectfully disagree on the claim that a connection (if well made) of DIN type, would have a negative affect.

Certainly not been my finding anyway. My arm has a detachable head shell, din connection and RCA connections and I don't believe for one second that it's comprised by the connections.

Also, the majority of Van Damme cable is garbage (No offence to anyone) and is trounced by Mogami cable and so it needs to go.

Just my 2p

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    Why ? Far better to have a straight through lead than a connection. Both my N.A. and A.O. arms have captive, and I wouldn't have it any other way after living with an SME Five for 14 years. Besides, adding a different phono lead to an arm lead really can't be good practice, surely.
    Well thats some time into the future if it happens. I did think the phonos used could be of better quality though given the overall price of the arm they feel plasticy and a bit cheap. They don't grip my phono stage so tight either, but thats something I can change pretty easily myself. That's the only criticism of the build though as the rest is fantasticallywell finished .

There's already a break in the cable as there is a plug for the wiring from the arm tube to the base which needs to be plugged in , so its not 1 cable run from cart to phono plugs

I'll give the van damme a fair crack of the whip though Oliver

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by smangus View Post
    Well thats some time into the future if it happens. I did think the phonos used could be of better quality though given the overall price of the arm they feel plasticy and a bit cheap. They don't grip my phono stage so tight either, but thats something I can change pretty easily myself. That's the only criticism of the build though as the rest is fantasticallywell finished .

There's already a break in the cable as there is a plug for the wiring from the arm tube to the base which needs to be plugged in , so its not 1 cable run from cart to phono plugs

I'll give the van damme a fair crack of the whip though Oliver
    Absolutely!! I'd have it no other way.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Ok So Arm placed on top , it just slotted in really easily to the bearing cup. The tungsten tipped pivot is held in another corresponding cup that slips into place over the sapphire bearing. There is some optional silicon damping fluid that you can add to the sapphire cup but at this stage I have decided to try it without to see what it sounds like, it can help smooth off some of the higher frequencies apparently. I haven't got a particularly bright system though so will see. Just the counter weight to add and angles etc to set.

just to add , the plinth looks really nice with a bit of beeswax polish - note to self - Do more often!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Yatra fitted and set the angle using the nice laminated protractor supplied by AO, usually I use a Geodisc but though I'd try this out for a change , easy enough to use. It also has 2 geometries , Baerwald and Lofgren I used the Baerwold to start-- no idea what the possible advantage etc are of either so will have to read up on them. Any comments would be useful?

VTA is slightly too high by about 2-3 mil so the arm is a bit tail up. The spacers on the collet holder won't go down any further so I have to leave it as is for the moment, I have kept the 5g weight between the cart and tonearm head to mitigate in the meantime but am keen to use without so that I can see what the arm does to the cart and its output as designed. Its still slightly tail up even with this though. Also due the extra weight the VAT won't set just so. But that will change

I'm Grant.

I use a geodisc too. have done for many years.. great bit of kit and works with all arms ive tried.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Default on the road !!

Ok So up and running , at least until the VTA gets properly sorted and I have ordered some bolts online that will allow me to sort this by lowering the collet holder.

Impressions

Packaging -

Good box, up with very sturdy foam packing which protects the arm and contents very well. Lots of extras inside.

Arm quality -

Oozes quality, the black satin finish is immaculate and the arm tube assembly is surprisingly heavy, reassuringly so for nervous hands .

There is a brace on one side of the head shell which helps with rigidity I guess, the arm is machined from one piece of aluminium and looks lovely. the arm lift is just right size wise and is easy to use, which is great as the unipivot is quite wobbly!

The stub and counterweight are finished in chrome and really nicely machined, the tolerance is just right to aid adjustment to the weight and it holds long enough to be tightened without slipping something that was an issue with the Rega OL weight. It always seems to move at the last second!!

The cartridge wires are thin and very light and flexible, I don't know what it is but guessing at Litz, cartridge set up very easy.

The collect is cleverly made allowing for Linn and both types of Rega set up nice and heavy too with 2 plastic tipped grub screws which tighten onto the arm base.

The arm base houses the bearing in a pillar and lift assembly. There is also a mini DIN socket which the Litz wiring plugs into and overall looks very cool.

Leads , the cable is set into the base and it VAN Dame XKE Pro silver plated copper leads, as mentioned the phono plugs are a bit of a let down in my opinion at this price point but that's a minor quibble compared to the rest of the package.

Apparently the Van Damme cable has it's fans and detractors I'll see how it goes for the moment .

I know, I know everyone wants to know how it sounds!!

Gimme a chance I'm stiil trying to suss it out . Also through head phones (Hifi man 400) is a lot different as they are much more revealing than my speakers. SO I will post but not until the weekend. (maybe)
    Last edited by smangus; 07-11-2018 at 11:43. Reason: conter weight comments added

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I use a geodisc too. have done for many years.. great bit of kit and works with all arms ive tried.
    Yes I found it easy to use too, really solid as well so won't bend break etc.

Bigman80 Guest

Get the VTA sorted out before you judge the arm. It may change significantly once thats right.

Looks really well suited to the Turntable. I like it.

I'm AndyElectroNumpty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Get the VTA sorted out before you judge the arm. It may change significantly once thats right.

Looks really well suited to the Turntable. I like it.
    Thanks Oliver

Yeah that's what I was thinking , the Rega didn't have VTA adjustment so that was missing from my choices. It will be interesting to see what effect is has on the sound.

I like the finish apparently the black cost a bit more than the standard silver but that would have suited , as it is it matches the FB monos and other boxes

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast