+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 26yo's Dorado and Caiman SEG impressions

I'm Nick.

Default 26yo's Dorado and Caiman SEG impressions

I was given a Dorado PSU and Caiman SEG DAC on loan for a while to test in my headphone rig by another member here and have a few layman impressions.

I currently use:
    DAC: CA DAC Magic+
    Amp: Capella
    Cable: Fisual Pearl Optical
    Front End: MacBook Pro (2013), Clementine, FLAC
    Headphones: HD700s
    Power supply: Default + Tacima CS929C/BP

Replacing the CA DAC with the Caiman was an improvement enough (I've had it in my set-up before) but powering it with the Dorado was yet another step-up.

As far as I can tell & hear it's a very simple improvement. Songs I know very well were a lot clearer, but not any brighter. There seemed to be no colouration added or removed from the way the system sounded before. There is far more clarity with voices, especially female. There was a change in the bass but I can't pin point it, most likely because I don't know the ins and outs of "bass" but I can say for certain it was a benefit, not a drawback.

All in all I will be buying one. I'm going to assume I'll hear very different results when I use it with my DAC Magic+ but I'm confident it'll be worth it.

I'm Paul.

Hi Nick, the Dorado has obviously been desgined by Stan for use with his products but I see no reason why it can't be used with similar success with non beresford products. Maybe just bare in the mind that the gains may not be so great with the Dac Magic. Hopefully it works out well! Report back with your findings.

I've ordered my Dorado Seg-30 Firmware today.
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

The maximum current flow from the DC input socket to the Dorado circuit has been limited by me since I have nothing similar to go by as far as reliability etc is concerned. But if someone can let me know what sort of current the power supply of the DAC Magic etc specifies on their AC/DC transformer, I can design a suitable version of the Dorado for those DACs. I am already working on a Pi version at the moment.

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by Pepperamip View Post
    Hi Nick, the Dorado has obviously been desgined by Stan for use with his products but I see no reason why it can't be used with similar success with non beresford products. Maybe just bare in the mind that the gains may not be so great with the Dac Magic. Hopefully it works out well! Report back with your findings.

I've ordered my Dorado Seg-30 Firmware today.
    I'm preparing myself for the jump to be limited by the DAC Magic plus haha but I'm in the market for a new DAC to use solely with my headphone rig and keep the DAC Magic for my HI-FI so it'll probably be the SEG I'll be looking at.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The maximum current flow from the DC input socket to the Dorado circuit has been limited by me since I have nothing similar to go by as far as reliability etc is concerned. But if someone can let me know what sort of current the power supply of the DAC Magic etc specifies on their AC/DC transformer, I can design a suitable version of the Dorado for those DACs. I am already working on a Pi version at the moment.
    Hi Stan,

I'll attach a photo here (of the PSU for the DAC Magic+) when I get home!

Hifi: Innuos Zen Mini MKIII > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Quad Vena II > Custom Clyde interconnects > TA Monoblocks > Tellurium Black > Reiver Millburn MK II (Custom super tweeters & TQ Black Jumpers).

Headphone Rig: MacBook Pro/Google CCA > Fisual Hollywood Optical > Beresford SEG > Custom Clyde interconnects > Beresford Capella > Sennheiser 700s

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    This help?

Thanks. Very useful. Expect a PM at some stage .

I'm tony.

Nick,
    Great to see you on here,glad you enjoyed the loan.

Stan supplied the seg firmware/linear psu with the dorado i was confident you would be suitably impressed.

great to get a perspective from you and Matt....younger ears with different musical tastes.

always good to get another set of ears corroborate what you are hearing.

I'm tony.

Stan,
    Have you considered doing a bundle....seg with firmware/psu/dorado?

Quote Originally Posted by wee tee cee View Post
    Stan,
    Have you considered doing a bundle....seg with firmware/psu/dorado?
    It's already on my website. The latest revision of the SEG already has the SEG-30 firmware. So that's another bit of saving.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast