+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Signs of a worn MC

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharos View Post
    My position is that although I have not played vinyl for a long time, partly due to a worn stylus, I miss some of it, so I enquired about a re-tip of my Denon DL304, but felt a little sceptical.

A couple of weeks ago I located a new one in Germany for about £470 and am pleased because it went out of production some time ago.

My Linn is standard (Valhalla) with an RB300, if I consider upgrades what are the immediate ones to consider please?

Hi Dennis,

Glad you managed to source a new DL-304, a nice cart from what I've read about it over the years.

Regards upgrades for your Linn Valhalla. I'd start a separate thread in Analogue Art if I were you, maybe title something like 'Upgrades for Linn LP 12 Valhalla advise'
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Geoff.

I wouldn't spend money retipping a DL-304. It's far from a favourite of mine, the sound is polite and detailed, but rather lacking in body and impact. In my view, the money would be best put towards a better MC.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I wouldn't spend money retipping a DL-304. It's far from a favourite of mine, the sound is polite and detailed, but rather lacking in body and impact. In my view, the money would be best put towards a better MC.
    My guess is he likes the DL-304 sound hence sourcing another.

Not full bodied like the 103 and maybe doesnt boogie in the same way from what I know. Never heard or had one though.
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Robert.

Right !! Lets cut to the chase

Now meticulously set up and with about 4hrs on it. I will say categorically that this cart is gorgeous !!

Like the Shibata Candeza Black it was, it is detailed, accurate non fatiguing and digs the music right out of the grooves.

Now with the Fritz Gyger S replacing the Shibata, this Replicant stylus profile is even more neutral, very beautifully neutral.

Even more detailed in that it digs out even more which is seriously some praise over the Shibata Cadenza which is a detail daddy.

Every instrument is in it's own space, textures are spot on but absolutley even right across the frequency range and that includes vocals which are soooo human and right , expression you name it.

Digs soooo deeep, so clean unscrathced records please as nicks and ticks are picked up if there.

Another thing is the improved stop start of rythmic movement and the dynamic drop of things like rim shots etc which now sound even more 'stick against rim' like, samely snare texture is so much more snare - slap / lick like......

There is also a quietness / calmness to the presentation which is great - I can turn up more without 'noisiness'

To say I am proper glad I took up Angus's recommendation to have the Fritz Gyger S re-tip is an understatement and a half.

He had it done on his Ortofon Vienna and was seriously impressed.

As he also said at the time, it is the best money I could have spent.

A stylus profile that is as the Replicant as used on Ortofons top flight carts costing thousands - I can only say that this is a no brainer upgrade (cause that is what it definitely is) and at less than half the circa £950 Ortofon are asking for to refurb the Cadenza B, I mean what more can I say.

Curtis Mayfield doing the business as we speak, the music is so non-fatiguing, engaging, beautifully and accurately textured instruments.

and only 4hrs on - Kilian recommended circa 14hrs burn in - you mean things are gonna get better !?!

Thank God I'm all set-up and back in music
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Right !! Lets cut to the chase

Now meticulously set up and with about 4hrs on it. I will say categorically that this cart is gorgeous !!

Like the Shibata Candeza Black it was, it is detailed, accurate non fatiguing and digs the music right out of the grooves.

Now with the Fritz Gyger S replacing the Shibata, this Replicant stylus profile is even more neutral, very beautifully neutral.

Even more detailed in that it digs out even more which is seriously some praise over the Shibata Cadenza which is a detail daddy.

Every instrument is in it's own space, textures are spot on but absolutley even right across the frequency range and that includes vocals which are soooo human and right , expression you name it.

Digs soooo deeep, so clean unscrathced records please as nicks and ticks are picked up if there.

Another thing is the improved stop start of rythmic movement and the dynamic drop of things like rim shots etc which now sound even more 'stick against rim' like, samely snare texture is so much more snare - slap / lick like......

There is also a quietness / calmness to the presentation which is great - I can turn up more without 'noisiness'

To say I am proper glad I took up Angus's recommendation to have the Fritz Gyger S re-tip is an understatement and a half.

He had it done on his Ortofon Vienna and was seriously impressed.

As he also said at the time, it is the best money I could have spent.

A stylus profile that is as the Replicant as used on Ortofons top flight carts costing thousands - I can only say that this is a no brainer upgrade (cause that is what it definitely is) and at less than half the circa £950 Ortofon are asking for to refurb the Cadenza B, I mean what more can I say.

Curtis Mayfield doing the business as we speak, the music is so non-fatiguing, engaging, beautifully and accurately textured instruments.

and only 4hrs on - Kilian recommended circa 14hrs burn in - you mean things are gonna get better !?!

Thank God I'm all set-up and back in music
    Absolutely the right move. The FGS is a superb stylus and is a profile I am very keen on.

I have a FG on the Kb and the plan for that is to get it Vienna modded. FGS stylus, Vienna suspension, WRD, the works! I am just waiting until the cart, as is, wears out.

Well done mate and yes, listening to Angus brings serious results.

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    ... which is a detail daddy.:
    Love it! Glad you are back in the game Robbie, great news.

I'm John.

This is the Second assessment I have heard about Holistic Audio, and it is another,
    Good Positive response to a Cartridge serviced by Kilian.
    There is a Kontrapunkt b, that Kilian has breathed on in my possession, yet to be listened to.
    It has a Ogura Beryllium Cantilever, and Ogura Vital SA+ Tip, with Vienna Internals.
    The Cartridge is not the one I envisaged, I was leaning towards a different type of rebuild.
    Kilian reassured me the chosen rebuild will be a success, so I went with this proposal.
    As for the cost, it feels like a real bargain at under £600 for a unique model, with cartridge purchase included as well.
    In my tight fist equations, £0.60p a album replay, if I can keep all in good fettle for a 1000 hrs.
    This Cartridge is soon to have a further bit of magic breathed on it, as Angus will be in receipt of it,
    working with it, to extract the best, while setting it up.

I'm jamie.

happy days!
    My System
    John Wood KT88 Amp.
    Paradise Phono Stage
    Sony TTS-8000 Turntable.
    PMAT-1010 MK6 Tonearm.
    Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Sony X555ES Cd Player
    Yamaha NS1000m Speakers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234