+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Signs of a worn MC

I'm Robert.

Default Signs of a worn MC

Having never experienced this, How does the sound change ?

How does it sound when the stylus is done ?
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 05-11-2018 at 18:09.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Having never experienced this, How does the sound change ?

How does it sound when it's done ?
    Do you mean a worn stylus on a moving coil pickup cartridge?
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm James.

Hi Rob,

If you had a new cartridge to compare your old one against you will hear the differences clearly. From my experience I have found that a worn stylus looses top end information and smears the detail so you get less precise and defined images and acoustic information. As the cartridge becomes more worn distortion becomes very evident and by then you maybe damaging your vinyl!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Do you mean a worn stylus on a moving coil pickup cartridge?
    Yep, of course...
    My System:
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Hi Rob,

If you had a new cartridge to compare your old one against you will hear the differences clearly. From my experience I have found that a worn stylus looses top end information and smears the detail so you get less precise and defined images and acoustic information. As the cartridge becomes more worn distortion becomes very evident and by then you maybe damaging your vinyl!
    Thanks Jimbo,

Been trying to set up my Cadenza B and as well as not being able nail that vta sweet spot, one thing that is very apparent to me is that it doesnt sound right compared to other times during set up.

Sounds pretty much as you've described and is probably partly why I'm struggling to get it to sound right.

Add to your description shrunken sound stage, less dynamic and overall smaller pinched sound and thats what I'm getting.

Have checked everything else by the way, and all else is fine and as it should be / has always been.
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm Mike.

As I'm sure you know, there's a lot more to cartridge alignment than VTA. If you're certain of correct overhang, azimuth, VTF and bias (and VTA) and your arm, there's nowt else but the cart. You could look at the stylus/cantilever with a loupe or similar, if only to check the cleanliness of both, but if you've no idea of previous mileage as a last factor, it may be time for a change or re-tip.

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    As I'm sure you know, there's a lot more to cartridge alignment than VTA. If you're certain of correct overhang, azimuth, VTF and bias (and VTA) and your arm, there's nowt else but the cart. You could look at the stylus/cantilever with a loupe or similar, if only to check the cleanliness of both, but if you've no idea of previous mileage as a last factor, it may be time for a change or re-tip.
    Thanks Mike,

All set-up parameters are bang on - I'm anal and take set-up / alignment etc very very serious as in my experince it's imporatnce cannot be overstated, if your serious about hifi, proper evaluation and hearing your system / music at it's best.

I've gone over and over again but this time the sound doesnt go beyond as I've described, no nailing the sweetspot / point of rightness.

Your last comment is very valid too as I've no 'gospel' idea of previous mileage and got it at a very very good price.

Not drawn to the idea of re-tips so will be a replacement cart somehow and new this time
    Last edited by RobbieGong; 05-11-2018 at 18:18.
    My System:

CDP - Pioneer PD-91

I'm Graham.

A good way is to run it over the tracking tests on the HFN test record. A worn cart will not track as well as when it was in fine fettle. This happened on my OC-9. it used to sail thru the first, second, third tests, it could even make a devent fist of the 4th torture track. However when it became worn, it struggled on the second, third tracks.

I'm James.

Another issue that may occur with a stylus Rob is the possibility it has got a lump of crud stuck to it or it may have chipped slightly. Only really possible to check under microscope. Also you may have a cantilever suspension issue, possible internal damage. However if you have got distortion it sounds like it is either worn or has dirt on the stylus tip?

How many hours do you have on the Cadenza!
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Deleted.

In my experience the sound gradually loses top end sparkle and increasingly sounds dull and lacking in life.
    Account Deleted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast