• Spotify

13 26.53%
  • TIDAL

21 42.86%
  • Other

5 10.20%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: so what is your streaming preference and why?

I'm Adrian.

Default so what is your streaming preference and why?

So I thought it would be interesting to discover which is the most popular of the main ones, and why. Also if any of us are using some others.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Gary.

Tidal, because of MQA and Roon integration.
    Have Spotify 320K to fill in the blanks Tidal's missing.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Tidal. Mqa access from audirvana is great... out to several things
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Spotify, never even tried anything else TBH as it does what I need - if it ain't broke I don't need to fix it

Been using it since the days it was 'introduction only', been a Premium subscriber for about 5 years now.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    Spotify, never even tried anything else TBH as it does what I need - if it ain't broke I don't need to fix it

Been using it since the days it was 'introduction only', been a Premium subscriber for about 5 years now.
    Yo might find Tidal quite interesting, worth giving it a trial run just to see what you think of the higher res music.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Neil.

TIDAL because it's lossless. Spotify because it's more extensive, and works great for offline playlists on the phone.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Ken.

Streaming Services
    Which one.....?
    Most forum discussions center on the GUI and not on the sound.
    Being digital, shouldn't they all sound the same right.....?
    My experience, for what ever reason, is that the sound they produce varies considerably.
    I've tried a few and found that in every case, their desktop Apps for my laptop (Windows 10), sounded better than their web based players.
    I tested the most basic service from each company, not HD, but it was still very listenable and almost CD quality to the ear if not by specification. Streaming MP3 at 320 kbps:

Deezer – Best sound quality, but interface only caries the most basic info about what's playing. No info on who wrote the track if it was a cover, who played on it, or even which version of the album your listening to, eg original 1969 album/2017 remastered version? I contacted them and they said they had no plans to add any of that as you could find all the info on the web.

Spotify – Very easily “spotted” as the worst sounding by a fair margin, so no need to say more. Their HD services might be more competitive.

Qobuz – Almost as good as Deezer in sound quality, but tells you stuff about the Composer/discography/band history etc, without having to leave the App. Also doesn't just concentrate on Pop/Rock, has a good selection of Jazz/Classical/World music.

Qobuz seems to do it for me, there are others, but you will have to try these and make your own mind up.
    Integrating your streaming service into your audio player App can have mixed results as well.
    I tried Qobuz from within Kodi as an add on, but this did not sound as good as the Qobuz desk top App, which makes me think they are using the inferior web player. Used from within the Audirvana A+ Player it integrates seamlessly and sounds awesome, best digital experience I have had on my set up.

I'm Andy.

Spotify - Using it for years
    Happy with the GUI, then sound, the choice and the cost.
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    Streaming Services
    Which one.....?
    Most forum discussions center on the GUI and not on the sound.
    Being digital, shouldn't they all sound the same right.....?
    My experience, for what ever reason, is that the sound they produce varies considerably.
    I've tried a few and found that in every case, their desktop Apps for my laptop (Windows 10), sounded better than their web based players.
    I tested the most basic service from each company, not HD, but it was still very listenable and almost CD quality to the ear if not by specification. Streaming MP3 at 320 kbps:

Deezer – Best sound quality, but interface only caries the most basic info about what's playing. No info on who wrote the track if it was a cover, who played on it, or even which version of the album your listening to, eg original 1969 album/2017 remastered version? I contacted them and they said they had no plans to add any of that as you could find all the info on the web.

Spotify – Very easily “spotted” as the worst sounding by a fair margin, so no need to say more. Their HD services might be more competitive.

Qobuz – Almost as good as Deezer in sound quality, but tells you stuff about the Composer/discography/band history etc, without having to leave the App. Also doesn't just concentrate on Pop/Rock, has a good selection of Jazz/Classical/World music.

Qobuz seems to do it for me, there are others, but you will have to try these and make your own mind up.
    Integrating your streaming service into your audio player App can have mixed results as well.
    I tried Qobuz from within Kodi as an add on, but this did not sound as good as the Qobuz desk top App, which makes me think they are using the inferior web player. Used from within the Audirvana A+ Player it integrates seamlessly and sounds awesome, best digital experience I have had on my set up.
    Interesting, for me it’s mainly about sound quality, so it has to be at least CD SQ when listening at home. But can accept less when out. IMO Audvirana seems to get the best from what’s streamed, although I haven’t trialed ROON yet which is pricey.

I'm malcolm.

Spotify because it works on everything I have...TV, Vortexbox, Phone, RPis and I get it free with my phone deal.
    Audiophile Tosher

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast