+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caiman SEG CMOS Clock modification

I'm Jerry.

Default Caiman SEG CMOS Clock modification

About a week ago I received my Caiman SEG back from Stan with the standard clock replaced with a CMOS model. Just to put this in context, the supercap mod, Dorado and SEG30 firmware have previously been installed.
    The CMOS clock adds to the sense of ambience and improves soundstage with a much clearer sense of the various perfomers position. The full effect for me has been on well recorded live albums but good studio albums also benefit.
    It has taken a few days to bed in but I now think I have a DAC that would cost a great deal of money to better.
    The cost of the modification is in line with Stans usual bargain price structure so if you want to complete the modifications available to the SEG, I recommend you contact Stan.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

This clock modification is to my ears far more useful and effective when the DAC is used with the Dorado. I have fitted a new clock to a BMII, CaimanII, and the SEG to see if it makes any difference to all of them or not. The good news is that it does.

I'm Adam.

Stan - I take it if you want the clock mod it is necessary to return the SEG to you in the post?
    Adam.

I'm Gareth.

Is it one clock per input? Would I have to select an input to upgrade so to speak?

I'm Jerry.

I returned it to Stan-I guess DIY is possible if you know what you are doing.
    As far as I know there is just one clock serving all the inputs.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

Quote Originally Posted by Theadmans View Post
    Stan - I take it if you want the clock mod it is necessary to return the SEG to you in the post?
    That's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Getgaff View Post
    Is it one clock per input? Would I have to select an input to upgrade so to speak?
    It's the clock for the DAC chip that is upgraded.

I'm Alan.

It's not that difficult to DIY if you can wield a soldering iron but it is definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

I'm rex.

does the new caiman seg come with the cmos clock upgrade installed or is this a separate issue? additionally, new caiman seg come with the upgrade chip?

I'm Gareth.

Sent my SEG off to Stan on Monday for the clock upgrade; once again the price to upgrade is very reasonable. Can’t get my hands on it until December as I’m abroad on business for the next 11 days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast