+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Power amp - advice sought

I'm Laurence.

Default Power amp - advice sought

I currently have both solid state and valve amps but would like to build / put together a couple of mono blocks based on something like ice-power or hyper technology. Coming to it as I am relatively late in the day there are a lot of options which I am struggling to work through so I would really appreciate it if somebody could point me in a good direction.
    The amps would be driving some Monitor Audio GX300 speakers, looks are not important and I am OK with most things diy including a bit of soldering.
    I have a budget of £300-£400.

I'm Chris.

As you have 4-8 ohm speakers a solid state amp is going to be the better choice.
    I would look at either the Hypex range, https://www.hypex.nl , or the Modulus 86
    https://www.neurochrome.com/modulus-86/

Each are different approaches to amplification, I slightly favor the Modulus 86 being
    approached from lowering distortion to near un-measurable levels.

I'm Simon.

I run a quad of toms modulus 86p boards as a pair of bridged monks. They're utterly silent in use not even a whisper from the speakers at way higher volume than I typically would listen at. Toms boards are super easy to build, though they'll stretch your budget for a pair of his 286's. I tried them against the hypex nc400 and the hypex had slightly better bass slam but lost out in the treble in my systems. Honestly both of them are stellar amps, best in class designs for sure.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Laurence.

Thank you for your replies, I knew of Hypex but Neurochrome is new to me - off to do some reading about them.
    I'm still interested in other views especially anyone who has had experience of the IRS2092.

+ Reply to Thread