+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hattor Dual Mono Passive

I'm John.

Default Hattor Dual Mono Passive

After reading the previous thread about a Pre Amp, it has left me with more curiosity about how a alternative
    pre amp/volume control will perform in my system.
    I am in no urgency to make a immediate change as things are still evolving in the system build.
    As I go into 2019, I am looking to prepare for a few auditions of different Pre amps to hook up to the
    845 mono's. These actions have always been on the cards, the time is just feeling closer now.
    The mono's have their own built in volume control pot's, these to date have not offered the attenuation that I lean toward, and show a source off " warts as well ". Phonostages fare better than Digital, with the inbuilt Pot's.
    The built in Pot's do make you feel they have a authority and grip on the presentation that is a attractor, this may be in relation to the amount of bass that is produced, it would be very desirable if another pre amp / volume control device could allow this to show through.
    I have tried a 'loaned' very basic Passive Stepped Attenuator, and again the results are similar, but worse, to the above, there is still a sense of loss, in the perceived authority on the replay .
    The Slagle AVC I use is a much better device to be used, to my perception any way, leaving me feeling much more at ease with the presentation. It balances out the overall presentation, the highs are enjoyable and the mids are very welcome, with the bass being there, but in a less convincing way. It does allow the bass notes to reverberate and decay in a way that the mono's inbuilt pot's produce.
    I have toyed with the idea of removing the inbuilt Pot's on the mono's, in discussion with the
    Design EE/ Builder, I have been assured that with the Pot's fully open, they are not having any effect on the SQ. So use the Pre amp and have the Pot's fully open, this will not effect the SQ.
    I have discussed the AVC with the EE, he is of the view it is a attenuator and it is filtering the signal supplied from the source, and that I am picking up on this filtering as a more attractive presentation, than the unfiltered direct attachment to a source. I was also reminded how revealing the mono's are, and that the source may be producing a signal I don't find a attractor.
    As I was to be reminded by the EE, the Mono's when attached to a oscilloscope, are capable of showing a signal that is from the laptops battery. So a lot of information is being passed through them, when compared to a usual oscilloscope reading with a amp attached.
    I am in the process of working with a change to my vinyl source.
    My investigations of taking my digital source further are more educational at present than, actively seeking out devices to try out. Even though the new to the system DAC, is a device I am completely happy with.
    I think a search for further improvement on a DAC is not required.
    This leaves me with a wish to plan for a few home trials and excursions in 2019, to attempt to find a
    pre amp / volume control that really out shines my present AVC when used in my system.
    I like Dual Mono Control, I like the freedom it offers, to work with different channels when assessing products,
    I know from experience, the full contribution of a product is not fully know until it is used in a stereo configuration.
    I am picking up on the recent positive talk about the DCB1.
    The knock on effect of this has been,
    I am looking into seeing if the mono's pot's can be exchanged for a mono Khozmo or mono DACT. A friend has done this to their 300b Mono's, and they are confident it is the correct choice for them.
    I am pondering a DCB1 produced as Dual Mono ?.
    I am looking at a Hattor Dual Mono,as this is the only device I am aware of, that is close to a build I am considering as a option. How close would this be to a Khozmo Dual Mono DCB1 ?
    It would be great to get pointers, to expand on my shortlist of devices to be considered, who knows I might get a home trial set up for the Xmas break.

Bigman80 Guest

Dual mono DCB1 in terms of attenuation or in terms of 2 X PCBs and 2x attenuators?

Both are possible.

I'm John.

If referring to a DCB1, I am hope I am correct in assessing the idea of 2 x PCB, + 2 x Mono Attenuatuor, to have a independent control of each channels volume.
    I would presume with a option to switch to stereo mode if necessary like the Hattor can achieve.

+ Reply to Thread