+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Farting noises (or a kind of zzst noise) in new pressings?

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Manicatel View Post
    I will clutch at a couple of straws here.
    1....New pressings, re-releases on 180g vinyl at premium prices, the SQ isn't always commensurate with our expectations. The hype of "re-released on 180g" doesn't always bring benefits. As has been said, we pay £20++ for these albums & expect a quality product, which sadly isn't always the case. So are we

2....from the OP's description of the noise, it reads to me as if its possibly a tracking/VTA thing which may only show up on thicker pressings?
    3....Since buying a record cleaner, I always clean brand new records before playing, even though you would think new pressings should be in a very clean condition.
    No no and no I’m afraid :

Overall SQ is generally fine. These are specific flaws.

Seems to happen with all sorts of cartridges. And I’m pretty obsessive about tracking and VTA.

I have a Loricraft as well as an ultrasonic cleaver. No effect.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post

But strangely, I've never encountered this fault in older stuff from the 50s, 60s, 70s, even 80s. (Not sure I have much 90s vinyl I was too busy filling my boots at s/h places where all the sad gits who went over to CD sold their record collections).
    I was still buying vinyl only up to about 1996 never had any problems with the 1990s records.

I've only got one recent re-release and it is very noisy. Cleaning did not help.

I'd say the problem is due to a number of factors:

1) Worn out pressing equipment

2) Almost all the people with decades of experience in pressing are now retired or dead

3) Due to the vinyl revival pressing plants have been working at capacity, quality control suffers or just isn't bothered with at all due to the need to keep up and fill orders. They just bang them out and worry about it later.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

montesquieu Guest

Just curious as to what this *specifuc* flaw is though - you just don’t hear it on older records. Digital related ? But then the flaws would be on the same spot in all pressings, and they aren’t.

I'm Grant.

Default Farting noises (or a kind of zzst noise) in new pressings?

Possibly some contamination at the pressing stage and its getting stamped into the vinyl.
    Depending how deep it is etc will depend on some stylii not noticing it as much
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Awesome new jazz LP arrived today (Brad Mehldau - Ballads and Blues - Adam put me on to this bloke and I'm really enjoying his stuff. This is one of his few recordings available on vinyl though there is a massive CD catalogue).

Unfortunately, it has that annoying farting noise in a couple of places - a kind of zzst or tzzzip noise - this is better than a lot of recent pressings I've had to suffer, but annoyingly, still there.

It occurred to me that I have only ever come across this fault in recent issues, where it's depressingly familiar, maybe 1 in 10 records or so, or maybe even more frequent than that at times. (My biggest gripe about the D'Agostino Jazz series that I've been buying is the number of rejects, though they are pretty good at replacing them).

But strangely, I've never encountered this fault in older stuff from the 50s, 60s, 70s, even 80s. (Not sure I have much 90s vinyl I was too busy filling my boots at s/h places where all the sad gits who went over to CD sold their record collections). Older pressings have faults too (clicks, surface noise) and you get these on new pressings as well - but the tzzip thing is more prevalent and can't be cleaned up by either vacuum or ultrasonic machines, unlike a lot of surface noise problems.

So what causes this and why is it so prevalent these days? Anybody know? Is there something different about how vinyl is pressed nowadays?
    Pre Christmas Sprouts?

I'm Mike.

I've had this same effect on a couple of records, replaced both, Neil Young Live at the Roxy was one of them but Amazon replaced it no problem.

Replacements were perfect.

I'm Neil.

Micheal Fremer at Analog Planet seems to have his finger on the pulse regarding all things vinyl, I am sure he is contactable via email. Contact him and make him aware of this, see what he knows.
    Regards Neil

I'm Justin.

I've got to be honest the quality of vinyl pressings has ALWAYS been hit and miss. To pretend otherwise is a lie, in my opinion of course.

At school in the 70s my friends and I were always taking them back.

The good ones occurred just enough to keep you buying more. But it has always been a dodgy format and always will be.

Tis a shame cos it can be excellent.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    I've got to be honest the quality of vinyl pressings has ALWAYS been hit and miss. To pretend otherwise is a lie, in my opinion of course.

At school in the 70s my friends and I were always taking them back.

The good ones occurred just enough to keep you buying more. But it has always been a dodgy format and always will be.

Tis a shame cos it can be excellent.

Justin the issue here is what on earth is this specific noise on the record? I have something like 4000 LPs from the 50s-80s and it doesn't appear on any of them. Yet it seems to be common on recent releases.

I'm Adam.

Justin the issue here is what on earth is this specific noise on the record? I have something like 4000 LPs from the 50s-80s and it doesn't appear on any of them. Yet it seems to be common on recent releases.
    I agree.. it only seemed to be a few of the very recently pressed lps.
    Personally I thought it was something in the transfer but as Tom says he had lps replaced and similar noise is on these too, in different places on the cut. It sounds like a digital fart. More investigation is needed, I’m sure we can crack the riddle!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast