+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Farting noises (or a kind of zzst noise) in new pressings?

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    This is interesting..
    So methods or practices must of changed relatively recently for this to happen on so many 'newer' pressings?
    and excuse me for being a bit of a thicky.... will all the pressings from that stamper have the same fault in the same place?
    If the problem is non-fill, then no. If the problem is caused before or during the forming of the stamper, yes.

If I were looking for the problem on the factory floor, I would look at the previous pressings 50 back from the one with the fault. If the fault is not there, I would investigate the press settings (cycle times and temperatures.) . If the problem is there, I would pull the stamper and inspect the "mother" before replacing it.

Either way, I would also condemn all of the faulty pressings.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Lawrence.

Tom,
    As I mentioned when we met, this is exactly the issue I had with de Agostini vinyl. Probably six or seven in total.
    I’ve never had it with any other vinyl, new or old.
    I’ll try out an elliptical stylus to see if it makes any difference.
    It’s definitely not a recording issue as replacing the records solved the problem.

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ceburaska View Post
    Tom,
    As I mentioned when we met, this is exactly the issue I had with de Agostini vinyl. Probably six or seven in total.
    I’ve never had it with any other vinyl, new or old.
    I’ll try out an elliptical stylus to see if it makes any difference.
    It’s definitely not a recording issue as replacing the records solved the problem.
    Hi Lawrence yes we discussed when you came round, in fact our conversation was what raised my curiosity as to what the problem actually is. As you say, it must be a pressing issue as the faults' positions vary between LPs. I have eliptical, line contact and shibata tips here, it doesn't make any difference really except perhaps to the degree of the noise. The 'non-fill' diagnosis does seem to fit the bill here.

My failure rate on the De Agostini set is similar to yours - close to 10%. That's a shed load of replacements if people are actively complaining about them. Indeed the company should be insisting on better quality control.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Justin the issue here is what on earth is this specific noise on the record? I have something like 4000 LPs from the 50s-80s and it doesn't appear on any of them. Yet it seems to be common on recent releases.
    I know it was just a vinyl snotogram type post.

Not aimed at you take no offense. But it always did and does annoy me to this day.

I'm Paul.

I have the new Hana ML here on loan and to my delight it played my copy of Blues and Ballads without a glitch.

Lovely well balanced cartridge. First impressions are very good.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    My point is that this is a particular, NEW type of noise that I have never had on older records (not a single one in 4000 of them). So WTF?
    The first time I heard this was on a DG Archiv pressing bought in Germany in 1982 (2533 404 - Busnois/Binchois. Pro Cantione Antiqua/Bruno Turner)

I've heard it a few times since, funnily enough only the other day on a second-hand LP I'd just cleaned.

I suspect it's part of the groove that didn't press or come out of the mould properly.

I'm James.

Had this on a few of the DeAgostini LPs, one was so bad it persuaded me to cancel the subscription. Can't be bothered returning them all, though it is very annoying.
    Nottingham Analogue Spacedeck / Kuzma Stogi S / Benz Micro Ace S L
    Lenco L-75 / Carl Ellis Plinth / Ortofon AS-212 / Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MkII
    Ortofon ST-7 SUT / Nick G Modded Lentek Head Amp / Croft RIAA

Cambridge Audio CXU / Theta DS Pro Prime

Classé Model 30 / Luxman M-383

Usher Compass X-719

May contain opinions that others find disturbing.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit View Post
    I have the new Hana ML here on loan and to my delight it played my copy of Blues and Ballads without a glitch.

Lovely well balanced cartridge. First impressions are very good.
    Thats Good to hear, but i assure you this issue isn't a cartridge compatibility one. These are faulty pressings. 100%
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Smegger68 View Post
    Had this on a few of the DeAgostini LPs, one was so bad it persuaded me to cancel the subscription. Can't be bothered returning them all, though it is very annoying.
    All finished now anyway I got numbers 69 and 70 in October. I miss it it was nice getting two completely random records in the post every month!

Though as you say quite a few of them were duff, I must have returned a good 10% of what arrived and in once case I got three copies of a record one after the other, all with farting noise in different places. Shocking quality control.

It's a bit strange really though .. I wouldn't thank you for two random classical records every month, my tastes there are shaped long ago, but while I've always listened to a bit of Jazz I didn't have real knowledge so it's been a proper voyage of discovery and a great jumping off point for exploring artists I hadn't heard of or whose names I had come across without any awareness of where they were coming from or how they fitted into things.

And there wasn't **too** much stuff that wasn't to my taste, a bit of free /psychedelic jazz (which I loathe), also some of the chewier big band stuff is an acquired taste. But on the whole it was well worth it in my view.

Thats Good to hear, but i assure you this issue isn't a cartridge compatibility one. These are faulty pressings. 100%

Yup. 100%.

I'm Paul.

I agree that there are issues with some modern pressings including Blues and Ballads which is unplayable with my Kiseki. As I said above, my friend's Ortofon Cadenza Black played it fine as did the Hana ML. In fact, today I'm trying a Phasemation PP-300 and it too has played the record perfectly well. I'm wondering if the profile of the Kiseki's tip is allowing it to get further down into the groove and is exposing the poor pressing whilst the others are riding above the damage?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast