+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Authenticity of carts.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Whats the suspension ? The cantilever? Its boron, but that's the same anywhere,
    I'm quite surprised to see a cart; any cart, at that price level with a boron cantilever. It's costly stuff, and boron has appreciated in price a fair bit in the last year or so. I had been vaguely thinking about risking a Nag. (500 ?) to replace the surprising Ortofon VMS20E mk.2. I'd never intended to keep the VMS; had it for years and just wanted to hear it. It's so good that my mind is going toward getting a mm for the first time in, probably, 40 years.

Nit up to speed in the top mm offerings out there, but the Nag. 500 (?) keeps coming up.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reed View Post
    I'm quite surprised to see a cart; any cart, at that price level with a boron cantilever. It's costly stuff, and boron has appreciated in price a fair bit in the last year or so. I had been vaguely thinking about risking a Nag. (500 ?) to replace the surprising Ortofon VMS20E mk.2. I'd never intended to keep the VMS; had it for years and just wanted to hear it. It's so good that my mind is going toward getting a mm for the first time in, probably, 40 years.

Nit up to speed in the top mm offerings out there, but the Nag. 500 (?) keeps coming up.
    I've got a 50 with a 500 stylus. Does nothing wrong but won't be to everyone's taste. If you like the Ortofon or AT sound then avoid Nags.

Used to have the 30 and on reflection I think I preferred that and I've seen a few people say the same thing. Replacement styli are very pricey though, it isn't like the old days of MM anymore. And stylus life is low on the top line Nagaokas so take that into account.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    If you like the Ortofon or AT sound then avoid Nags.

And stylus life is low on the top line Nagaokas so take that into account.
    Thanks for that, Martin. Point taken about the longevity of Nagaoka styli. Of the 3 Ortofons I've been acquainted with or had, the MC 30 (I think) was 'orrible and the Rohmann was lacklustre. My friend's FL25 (?) had a bit of go. All coils of course, but I'm impressed by my VMS20E. However, I can't say that Ortofons blow me away like Koetsu, Transfiguration and Benz (or Lyra, but I've moved on from that presentation). Never had AT, but believe them to be a wee bit raw.

I think that Nag's are not paint-stripping at all; could be wrong, though.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234