+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My system, some updates....

I'm Timothy.

F9600D23-C226-49CA-8597-FDF315D20F0C.jpg26390F3D-DE5D-4204-8C9E-2829452218AA.jpg596A9EA7-397D-4E5C-BC71-5926D9490CDC.jpg

I decided to go ahead and move the Holbo TT and Croft pre/phono over to my main rack versus off to the side. It cleaned my front room up a bit, plus I got rid of a little bit of noise in the phono stage circuit, probably from the longer interconnects. Am loving the Croft MM stage, really nice.

Next step will be getting a TT cover made and then will probably upgrade the Nag MP-110 to one of the upper range Nags, or something else, will see. This cheap MP-110 is pretty good though for such little outlay, and seems to work really well with the Croft.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm gone.

Only just seen this thread.
    Duevel speakers, I do like omnis.

Quite a few years ago someone had a very similar looking pair at the Wigwam show, they sounded amazingly good!

I find that with my MBL omnis it's easy to overdo the room treatment. A little goes a long way, and the benefits of the omni presentation can be diluted by too much absorption.
    I found it good to have a 'sanity check' every now and then and remove some just to make sure it really is an improvement!

Lovely looking room you have there, as well.
    Last edited by jandl100; 04-12-2018 at 09:07.

I'm James.

Nice to see your system Tim.
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Timothy.

Thanks Jerry and Jimbo, sorry for the crap photos, someday I swear...Jerry, yes, you are right on wall/room treatments with omnis, there does need to be some care in that. My panels are the lowest on the absorption end of things on this type of panel. Once I removed the TV from the top of the rack, I found that the blank wall created a bit too much brightness and slap, these panels proved to be just right. I played around with placement and also quantity of the panels, as I have four of them. I ended up with just two, and am very pleased with the results. It has been a fun little exercise of sorts!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm gone.

Interesting what you say about removing the TV screen causing some issues.
    I've a 42 inch plasma screen in about the same position between the speakers. And whilst I haven't tried removing it completely I have experimented with absorbent covers to shield it when playing music-only (which is most of the time). To my surprise I preferred the sound without the cover on. Although, even more weirdly perhaps, I have settled on a 4x2 foot GIK absorbent panel placed horizontally against the wall behind the plasma screen.
    You just can't predict these things sometimes!

I'm Timothy.

No, you sure can’t predict those types of things, experiment and listen for what works best! I did have a 55” flat screen in that position, and I also tried various covers over it, never felt I had the perfect solution there, yet it didn’t bother the sound all that much, as the panel sat back from the plane of the speakers. Again, omnis are a different thing, as it seemed I had more issues to deal with when I moved the TV screen out!

I am happy with the results though with the GIK panels, just right in my opinion. I think for me, the TV screen was more of a distraction more than anything else. These panels seemed like a distraction as well when I first put them up there, but now they just seem to kind of melt into the wall visually, yet do their thing, while providing a little artistic flair to it all.

I have had several Omni or Omni types of speakers in this room, and I have gotten on really well with almost every one of them, the Shahinian Obelisk being the hardest one to get right, which I never quite did unfortunately, as they had a wonderful midrange and upper end to them that was fantastic. I shouldn’t complain though, the Duevel Venus are doing quite nicely here. I would love to hear your MBL in here Jerry!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123