+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a linear tracking tonearm which isn't a real pig to setup & use?

I'm Steve.

Default Is there a linear tracking tonearm which isn't a real pig to setup & use?

I'm intrigued by the arguments for linear tonearms - it seems to make sense that a cartridge should track in a linear fashion and mimic the way the record was cut, rather than only being accurately positioned at two points on an LP (according to certain websites) with regular arms.

But everything I've read about linear arms seems to say that they're a pain to setup and use.

Does anyone know of one which isn't? I'd also be interested in experiences people have had with them.

Thanks,

Steve

I'm James.

I think some of the B&O ones were straight plug n play, and apparently pretty damned good. Beobloke will advise
    Not sure about the Technics SL10 but think that might be similar? Like you I am intrigued but no experience. Also I am a lower compliance cartridge fan (as a general rule) and linear trackers seem to be aimed at the higher compliance end. I will be delighted to discover otherwise though. Hope this thread gets some traction

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

I think integrated linear tracking arm decks such as the Harmon Kardon, Marantz, B&O and Technics designs required no setting up as such and were largely simple "plug and play" units.

The difficulty will come with fitting and using a parallel tracking arm on a TT from a different manufacturer; although I believe there are some members here who successfully use a 'Terminator' parallel tracking arm with various TTs.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    The difficulty will come with fitting and using a parallel tracking arm on a TT from a different manufacturer; although I believe there are some members here who successfully use a 'Terminator' parallel tracking arm with various TTs.
    The difficulty of setting up rather depends on the type of turntable you want to mount it on. I'm using a Terminator air bearing parallel tracking tone arm on my Palmer 2.5 turntable, which does not have a suspended sub chassis.

Getting the air bearing perfectly level is essential, on a suspended sub chassis turn table it would be quite difficult to level it, and keep it level in use. Also the weight would be difficult to deal with on a sprung suspended deck. On an un-suspended turntable levelling is easy and the Terminator works exceedingly well.

Cartridge alignment is also relatively easy compared to a pivoted tonearm. I use a simple protractor printed on some card which has a line drawn through the centre line of the turntable spindle with some grid lines drawn perpendicular to the centre line. Aligning the cartridge is a simple matter of moving the arm around it's pivot point until the stylus touches the centre line of the protractor at two points along the line, at the inner and the outer of the platter.

The terminator has a high horizontal effective mass, but a low vertical effective mass, which is not what you would normally have with a pivoted tonearm. However in my experience it works very well with both high and low compliance cartridges. I'm using a Koetsu Black Goldline low compliance MC cartridge in my Terminator. The Koetsu works far better in the Terminator than it ever did in an SME IV and a 12" Jelco.

I'm Timothy.

My Holbo is similar to your setup Martin, although I am learning a few new tricks along the way. I agree though on the suspended versus solid plinth, it would be horrible to try and setup this arm on a suspended deck! I think my patience would wear very thin!

I think with turntables, it is maybe(?) best to not get hung up on linear tracking versus pivot, buy the table you like the sound of and gets you where you want to be! With that being said, I always liked linear trackers, and air bearing platters and arms, so, I decided for the Holbo, a work in progress for me.

Have fun!
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Nari.

I favour Linier tracking tonearms the schroder Lt is a great arm as is the thales quite easy to set up, as for air bearings the Air tangent is by far the easiest as it as levaling screws etc the Rockport Series 6000 I used to own was also quite a joy to set up and use.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Patrick.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    I favour Linier tracking tonearms the schroder Lt is a great arm as is the thales quite easy to set up
    I am not sure the Schroder and Thales are actually Linear tracking; AFAIU the stylus still traverses an arc across the record (rather than a radial), although by continuous adjustment of the headshell offset it is always kept parallel to the groove.

I have a Terminator (on a 301) and it's fairly easy to setup and maintain although it's not necessarily the prettiest solution out there.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    I am not sure the Schroder and Thales are actually Linear tracking; AFAIU the stylus still traverses an arc across the record (rather than a radial), although by continuous adjustment of the headshell offset it is always kept parallel to the groove.

I have a Terminator (on a 301) and it's fairly easy to setup and maintain although it's not necessarily the prettiest solution out there.
    Yes you are correct - they are based on the old twin arm Burne-Jones design of the early '60s. The idea was resurrected in the early '70s with the Garrard Zero 100. There was also a similar designed arm, whose name escapes me, intended for use with the Thorens TD124.
    Barry

I'm Spencer.

The ET2 and ET2.5 are probably two of the more popular linear arms. I have seen them frequently paired with suspended tables like the Sotas. Having no experience setting up and maintaining an ET, I can't comment on how easy it is. Plenty of user comments online to answer that though.
    I love the sound of the Transfi Terminator but watching a friend fiddle for months with his scared me off it. With repeatable VTA micrometer it has some nice features, but I think they take a brave and patient soul to own. Cheers,
    Spencer
    Sota Star Sapphire V turntable, SME V, Dynavector XX2, MkII MC cartridge, Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage
    Digital: Server Synology DS415+ / Sonore microRendu / Schiit Audio Gungnir Multibit / Custom Linear Power Supply by Ecco Audio
    Both: BAT VK51SE > Krell FPB-300 amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

I'm Adam.

Technics SL10 is easy. As are B&O’s parallel tracking Beograms!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast