+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cartridge for Michell Gyrodec

I'm Robert.

Thanks for the all the opinions. All fantastic.

For a number of reasons I have had to rethink my budget and found a new Goldring 1042 cartridge for a bargain price and have gone with that for now.

Sounds pretty good up to now.

Will start saving for a decent MC cart!

I'm rep.

The 1042 was mighty fine last time I heard it, my guess a higher arm is better before going MC

I'm Robert.

A quick update on this thread.

I have tried for the last week or so to get the Goldring to sound right but I have struggled. The biggest issue I have had is that the image is not centred and vocals are slightly right of centre. It is subtle but has driven me slightly mad I think trying to get it right. The long and short of it is that I have sent it back to Amazon (Prime thankfully so the return is straightforward).

Managed to scrape the extra funds together for an Audio Technica AT 33PTG Mk2 and so hopefully this will be okay. Arrives tomorrow and so will have some time to set it up over the weekend.

I'm Robert.

The Audio Technica Cartridge arrived this morning. Spent a couple of hours setting it up and I have to say I am totally blown away.

Even with the first couple of records the difference between the new cart and the Goldring is not subtle.

Thanks for the original recommendation Bigman80 and all those who concurred.

I'm Dave.

Never been a fan of the Goldrings. Back in the day when they were first introduced there were plenty of better cartridges but well outclassed nowadays.

I'm Tom.

How about the audio note variations of the Goldring?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123