+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge for Michell Gyrodec

I'm Robert.

Default Cartridge for Michell Gyrodec

I've just ordered a new Gyrodec SE with RB202 Arm as a starting point.

What I haven't got is a cartridge yet to go with it.

Any recommendations up to around £350? Looking for a presentation on the warmer side of neutral. MM or MC is fine. My Lindemann Limetree Phono stage can accept both.

Don't think it is worth spending more until I can afford to upgrade the arm.

I'm Kevin.

You will struggle to get a decent MC cartridge for £350, but have quite a bit of choice with MM.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    You will struggle to get a decent MC cartridge for £350, but have quite a bit of choice with MM.
    Any MM suggestions?

Bigman80 Guest

MC Carts:

Hanna EL can be had for your budget. Gets rave reviews everywhere and would suit your taste of a warmish, neutral sound.

Will work on any arm too. Will also improve as your setup does. Capable of very good performance.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323227122964

Alternatively, the AT33PTGII is the best cartridge for your price range. Again, may have to go used, but goddam, this cartridge makes a mockery of its price and offers superb performance. I'd pick the AT33PTGII but it is neutral and not warm neutral. It's not clinical or thin, in fact it's a bit of a departure from the house AT sound. No upgrade you make will be held back by this cartridge. Yes, there are better out there but look to spend £1000+ finding one.

That's my recommendation anyway.

There one is on eBay too:

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/mobil....php?pid=52040

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323522166717

This one is well regarded too. Slightly more money but definitely worth considering. Reportedly warm side of neutral too.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F232877767605

MM Carts:

A bit over budget this one but again, punches well above its weight. The Goldring 2500 is a real Hi-end MM Cartridge. Might be lucky in the used market, definitely keep a look out. Neutral, detailed and punchy. A really enjoyable Cartridge.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F192669016086

The standard for MM cartridges:

The Ortofon 2M black. There is no warmth here, just pure detail and timbre. Great tonal palette and just about as good as any MC under £1500. Treble can be etched if not matched carefully in your system. Valve preamps are my choice to do this with the 2m black.

A bastard to set up, not ideal for a Rega arm as you need VTA adjustability and Azimuth adjustment to get that Shibata stylus bang on. Be warned, if you get it right and it suits your system, your cartridge journey is over.

Class leader for MM.

Here's one:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F332854111297
    Last edited by Bigman80; 30-10-2018 at 09:02.

I'm Kevin.

The cheapest I have seen the AT33PTG/II is £383, it is a great cartridge, but it is not warm. I thoughtb5hey were more expensive than that. In my opinion, the 2M Black is not what you want - they are also expensive. Something like an AT150mlx would be better, but still not “warm”, although it is definitely warmer than a 2M Black.
    I would suggest the Nagaoka MP300 or MP500 if you can get one second hand.

I think that tne AT150mlx has been replaced by the VM750SH.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Mel.

a nice warm cartridge which i have used with the same combo as you and now use on a 1210/audiomods combo

https://eu.audio-technica.com/AT33EV

shop around for a price below your budget - try ian harrison hifi 001283 702875 for a price around £320

Bigman80 Guest

I think you have to be careful when looking for a 'warm' sounding cartridge. Depending on the rest of the gear, it can get very thick and slow sounding, which if that's what you want and it suits you style of music then cool.

What I found is when something with a bit of pace is played, you start to miss the insight a neutral cartridge offers. Of course, if you go too clinical, the sound becomes unbearable for other reasons like strident treble and thin tone.

Cartridges are very personal in terms of taste so try and read as much as you can and if there are some guys or girls local to you, go and have a listen to their system. See what cartridges they use etc.

I'm David.

I would try the AT120 or Nagoka 110 first to see which you like best. I have had both on my Gyro with a RB303, and I thought both are very good. Which, if either are warm - well that is very subjective as to my ears the Nagoka (ish)

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    I think you have to be careful when looking for a 'warm' sounding cartridge. Depending on the rest of the gear, it can get very thick and slow sounding, which if that's what you want and it suits you style of music then cool.

What I found is when something with a bit of pace is played, you start to miss the insight a neutral cartridge offers. Of course, if you go too clinical, the sound becomes unbearable for other reasons like strident treble and thin tone.

Cartridges are very personal in terms of taste so try and read as much as you can and if there are some guys or girls local to you, go and have a listen to their system. See what cartridges they use etc.

Great advise Oli - Insight and neutrality the trait of a good cartridge in my book, more true to the groove then and in my experience.

At the same time and as they say, 'one mans meat'... and all that, so get to know what suits your taste as Oli has directed.
    My System:
    Amplification - Sansui AU-alpha 707 DR
    Turntable - Technics SP10 MK2-Technics EPA-250 Tonearm-Yannis Tome 423.5Plus tonearm cable-Eichmann KLEI Absolute Harmony plugs.
    Ortofon Cadenza Black moving coil cartridge-Fritz Gyger S re-tip. Panzerholz plinth.

CDP - Pioneer PD-91
    Speakers - Spendor D7 on Soundcare SuperSpikes
    QED Silver Spiral speaker cable-airloc banana plugs
    Mains - Ultra Pure silver plated un-switched socket-Missing link EPS 500 silver plated plugs-Hi-Fi Tuning gold plated silver ceramic 13 amp fuses

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Great advise Oli - Insight and neutrality the trait of a good cartridge in my book, more true to the groove then and in my experience.

At the same time and as they say, 'one mans meat'... and all that, so get to know what suits your taste as Oli has directed.
    Thanks Robbie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast