+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fidelity Research FR12 tone arm set up help please??

I'm Nat.

Default Fidelity Research FR12 tone arm set up help please??

I am about to change the armboard on my LP12 which will of course will need me to re set up my FR12. First I will use the old armboard as a template and then drill the new board after which I'm in need of help.

I have downloaded a protractor from Vinyl Engine and even if I could understand all the terms used which I can't I believe it deviates from Fidelity Researches own instructions.

I'm balking at spending £24 for a protractor on on eBay and hoped one of you very kind experts could talk me through the set up of this tonearm using language I understand and taking intio account that although a tradesman and pretty good with my hands I'm a complete novice at this, null points etc are foreign words to me.

Thanks in advance.

I'm Mick.

Hi Hope the install goes well. The important thing to remember is to get the hole in the arm board correct, as this effects the overhang.

Maybe this could fill in some blanks.

https://www.analogplanet.com/content...lignment-gauge

Bigman80 Guest

When making your arm board, make sure you get the pivot to spindle distance correct.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Natara View Post
    I am about to change the armboard on my LP12 which will of course will need me to re set up my FR12. First I will use the old armboard as a template and then drill the new board after which I'm in need of help.

I have downloaded a protractor from Vinyl Engine and even if I could understand all the terms used which I can't I believe it deviates from Fidelity Researches own instructions.

I'm balking at spending £24 for a protractor on on eBay and hoped one of you very kind experts could talk me through the set up of this tonearm using language I understand and taking intio account that although a tradesman and pretty good with my hands I'm a complete novice at this, null points etc are foreign words to me.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi Nat, so you are just changing the arm board over and keeping the same tonearm? If thats a yes, that means you already have the old arm board as a hole template, and if the arm was correctly fitted previously, the spindle to pivot
    distance will be correct. Then as long as the cartridge is set up correctly in the head shell you should be ok.

A note of caution, be careful downloading anything from the tinterweb as a template or protractor as they are frequently distorted deliberately to stop free use.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Nat.

Thanks all
    Yes Adam having the old armboard will be a great help and you are right if I get that right it will go a long way. Then getting the arm straight with the platter and the cart set right should see me there.

+ Reply to Thread