+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stabilising puck for TT platter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Drew.

Default Stabilising puck for TT platter

Hi

Just wondering the benefits of using a ‘puck’ to stabilize records. Are they really necessary and if so what would you recommend for use with a 401?

I'm Peter.

Oh my!

Now you’ve opened up a can of worms.

Some will say Yes.... others, not on your life.

Only you will know and can be TT dependent.

Sorry to be so unhelpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Deleted.

What exactly do you mean by ‘stabilise records’? Records are perfectly stable without a record clamp/weight/puck. I say this as someone who’s made loads of different record clamps and uses one myself - not to stabilise the record though.
    Account Deleted

I'm Drew.

Ah, with no prior knowledge I assumed that was what they were for. What is the purpose therefore (for those who advocate using them) ?

Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    What exactly do you mean by ‘stabilise records’? Records are perfectly stable without a record clamp/weight/puck. I say this as someone who’s made loads of different record clamps and uses one myself - not to stabilise the record though.

I'm Deleted.

Primarily they increase the pressure between the record and whatever surface is beneath it. This can be a good, or a bad, thing depending on the sonic signature of said record support as pressing the record to the platter effectively increases the sound of that interface. Some claim a puck/clamp/weight stops record slip - but record slip doesn’t exist in the micro sense they suggest. Others claim an increase in inertial stability but this isn’t true either as the mass is at the centre of rotation and therefore has minimal impact (virtually none) on overall inertia. I have also heard that weight/clamps damp the record - perhaps to a point, but not much. Finally, they are often bought in the belief that they will flatten a record. A heavy weight may flatten mildly warped records, but they likely don’t need flattening in the first place. More warped records can only be flattened by screw on clamps where the record spindle is threaded to accept such a device. However, applying the kind of pressure needed to flatten a record puts huge strain on the record and it’s not uncommon to find micro cracking occurring around the centre hole of records that have regularly been clamped in such a manner. In addition, many users of decks that use screw down clamps prefer the sound when only light pressure is applied.
    Account Deleted

I'm paul.

I use one on a copper mat to stop slippage while brushing a record.
    Bakoon 13r Denon DP80 Stax UA-70 Shure Ultra 500 in a Martin Bastin body with jico stylus, project ds2 digital Rullit aero 8 field coils in tqwt speakers

Office system, DIY CSS fullrange speakers with aurum cantus G2 ribbons yulong dac Sony STR6055 receiver Jvc QL-A51 direct drive turntable, Leema sub. JVC Z4S cart is in the house

Garage system another Sony receiver, cassette deck

System components are subject to change without warning and at the discretion of the owner.

I'm Hugo.

Some time ago my metal CNC fabricator (who makes the parts for my Jelco collars and Technics arm boards) made up on spec a simple and not particularly heavy alloy platter weight, machined in two threaded pieces from alloy and novel in being filled with sharp grit. It took me ages to actually try it out for myself and on disinterested friends. Lo and behold, they all said it improved the sound. The weight is only a touch over 200g so clearly not enough to flatten a record, or indeed place much force on it, but it clearly works, to my ears and others’ too. I did once have a Stillpoints weight and that had an effect but its mass was very high indeed and that made me uneasy. I think that a modest weight acts like a mass damper, perhaps reducing resonances in the LP, but is it worth overthinking what’s going on? Perhaps not, and there’s no way that I’d advocate anyone spending big money on a platter weight. I do wish that there was a business case for me retailing the platter weight from my fabricator, but sadly there is not!

Last edited by Ammonite Audio; 27-10-2018 at 14:12.

I'm Mike.

I use a 401 and can't tell a difference between using and not using a record weight, but that could just be me.
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Deleted.

Oh, I can hear the effect of a clamp, even ones that apply lesser or greater clamping force. The effect is less than that of different record mats though.
    Account Deleted

I'm Mike.

I don't have very good what you would call critical hearing, I guess. I know the sound I like and that I don't but attributing it to small system changes is beyond me.

A decent Hi-Fi would be well and truly wasted on me a
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast