+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: High end CDP to streaming FLAC

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Inclined to disagree. Get streaming networked files and tidal etc right and it's damn good. More convenient too. Probably a lot cheaper too
    My rationale would be that if FLAC can't compete with high-end CDPs, online streaming would have even greater difficulty doing so...

I'm Edward.

Inclined to disagree. Get streaming networked files and tidal etc right and it's damn good. More convenient too. Probably a lot cheaper too
    +1

@Drew, try to audition a well set up streaming system.

But, imo, it is horses for courses - different strokes for different people.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    +1

@Drew, try to audition a well set up streaming system.

But, imo, it is horses for courses - different strokes for different people.
    That's my problem, its hard to do so here in Italy, but I'll keep looking

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    My rationale would be that if FLAC can't compete with high-end CDPs, online streaming would have even greater difficulty doing so...
    Flac can as it's basically the same. It's the playing back you have to get right. Not all playback systems are equal by a long stretch.
    You might be surprised how good you can get it for comparatively little money. Plus with tidal unfolded even once it's very good with 40 mil tracks it's great for new music
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

+1 Strongly disagree. The technology has come of age. Apart from the added convenience of accessing thousands of ripped cds I strongly believe that the ripped lossless files sound better than the original cds, especially if played back through upsampling software like Audivarna into a good DAC.

Geoff

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    +1 Strongly disagree. The technology has come of age. Apart from the added convenience of accessing thousands of ripped cds I strongly believe that the ripped lossless files sound better than the original cds, especially if played back through upsampling software like Audivarna into a good DAC.

Geoff
    Thanks Geoff, but is that in comparison to having used top-end CDPs? That is my quandary..

I'm Edward.

Thanks Geoff, but is that in comparison to having used top-end CDPs? That is my quandary..
    Well fwiw relatively recently I had a Sugden Masterclass PDT4 CD player and loved the overall presentation and engaging nature of that top end player. But sold it and now concentrate my efforts on FLAC streaming.

But when I win the lottery I'd love to spend a few ten grand on a top end vinyl rig and vinyl for the sheer pleasure of handling the black circles.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Well fwiw relatively recently I had a Sugden Masterclass PDT4 CD player and loved the overall presentation and engaging nature of that top end player. But sold it and now concentrate my efforts on FLAC streaming.

But when I win the lottery I'd love to spend a few ten grand on a top end vinyl rig and vinyl for the sheer pleasure of handling the black circles.
    Do you find the quality of streaming FLAC reaches or surpasses your Sugden?
    Last edited by da2222; 23-10-2018 at 19:26.

I'm Grant.

Only got an oppo 103d but its a more than decent spinner if not hi end. My pc using audirvana out to an rpi is i have to say, my first call now, although bI do like spinning discs too... Vinyl is too labour intensive now for me but it has a sound all of its own and not to be compared imv
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Edward.

Do you find the quality of streaming FLAC reaches or surpasses your Sugden?
    Different - both engaging, detailed, transparent, musical - just an uncoloured window to the music.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast