+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DAC Advice

I'm Michael.

Default DAC Advice

Hello each, I'm hoping you fine folk can give me some guidance.

I currently have a Micromega Duo BS2 DAC. It is working off of a Cyrus CD Transport and to these ears, it is doing a pretty good job.

However... It's all but coming up to vintage status now and I'm pretty sure that in the years since this bad boy was built, technology
    must have moved on, I feel I'm probably missing something. There is quite a fan club out there for these units and I rarely have found
    a bad word against them. I think they were quite high end when they first came out and some people out there seem to think that a
    similar upgraded level would cost more than my bank manager is likely to countenance these days. Is that the case?

I'm never sure if that's how it works. Law of diminishing returns and all that.

I considered the Roksan Kandy 3 DAC, which is going for about 400 quid for some reason, even though it's a £1200 machine. But it's
    built like Sizewell B and I just don't have the room. Also like the look of the Audiolab M Dac + and the Rega DAC R. But I guess my
    question is, will I notice any fundamental difference for my hard earn't?

All advice/opinion gratefully received.

M

I'm Kevin.

If you are happy with the sound, why change it?

If you are inquisitive, find a friendly dealer to see if they will do a home loan?
    Some manufacturers also do a 30 day money back trial period so you can try a different DAC in your system.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm gone.

After owning many DACs over the years up to several £k rrp I have now settled on a Topping D30. It costs £90 from Amazon. It's the best DAC I have owned - the only DAC I've heard in my system that might better it was a $5k Lampizator Level 4.
    The levels of clarity and resolution on offer from the Topping are astonishing - but it might seem a bit too 'clean' after the vintage BS2.

I also added a £50 Chinese linear PSU to the D30 to help it along a bit further.

The Caiman SEG with Dorado has moved things to the next level as far as sound quality is concerned. I doubt that any of the other DACs suggested come anywhere close to it, let alone surpass it.

I'm Grant.

Never tried a seg so cant comment on it, far less with the dorado(which on face of it sounds like a genius idea),...
    but I do love my XS dac/pre. it gives me 2 outputs , 2 analogue inputs and 3 digi inputs, plus a decent headphone amp. but i think there are different makers/versions and quality control..

Some day I will maybe get a listen to a seg.... I liked my old Beresford dac, and my berseford switch box. Think I had a pre as well but name escapes me.
    You can do a lot worse than Stan's stuff and service is second to none.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by CageyH View Post
    If you are happy with the sound, why change it?

If you are inquisitive, find a friendly dealer to see if they will do a home loan?
    Some manufacturers also do a 30 day money back trial period so you can try a different DAC in your system.
    Well I think my thought process is that, yes I like what I have, but I'd like better or at least explore the possibilities.
    I can't believe that technology hasn't improved in the last 20 odd years so thought I'd give it a go.

I could of course go to my local Hifi dealer and listen to something, but they don't have my components or my room or
    my furniture, so I think that would be futile. I may ask of they will let me take one at home or as you say, the 30 day return
    policy thing. My local dealer (Near Ipswich) is a tad out of my league generally. I was drooling over a £23k set of speakers
    last week, which he sells with an amp that costs £121k. Maybe I'll trot down t Audio T.

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    After owning many DACs over the years up to several £k rrp I have now settled on a Topping D30. It costs £90 from Amazon. It's the best DAC I have owned - the only DAC I've heard in my system that might better it was a $5k Lampizator Level 4.
    The levels of clarity and resolution on offer from the Topping are astonishing - but it might seem a bit too 'clean' after the vintage BS2.

I also added a £50 Chinese linear PSU to the D30 to help it along a bit further.
    I don't know of Topping sir, but your glowing review will cause me to do some research toot sweet. Certainly at that price. Thank you.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    The Caiman SEG with Dorado has moved things to the next level as far as sound quality is concerned. I doubt that any of the other DACs suggested come anywhere close to it, let alone surpass it.
    Fighting talk Stan. I like that.

I'm Michael.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I've just looked on the website sir. Can such quality be achieved at such a price? It seems too good to be true! I shall explore further. Thank you.

I'm gone.

Fair do's - the Beresford SEG is an excellent DAC and would be on my list if I were in Michael's shoes. I've not heard the latest upgrades and that may well change things beyond my own experience.
    All the DACs sound different anyway - try a few at home on trial and see what if any ticks your personal boxes.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast