+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 300B Class A gorgeousness

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Perhaps you may find this an interesting read, it discusses in great detail, the use of 6922/6DJ8 for audio.http://tubeaudiostore.com/suitof6dfora.html
    However I have never been a fan of 6922 valves as I think there are far more linear valves to be had...
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Good to hear other viewpoints but in this instance it is far far better with a little bit of feedback in the circuit.
    The circuit is very traditional, 3 common cathode stages with simple resistive anode loads on the first two.
    However I have never been a fan of 6922 valves as I think there are far more linear valves to be had. With a small amount of feedback the sound is transformed.

Previously my low output OTL amp trounced the 300B, now they are on a par, extremely lucid with the 300B actually having a better bottom end.
    So by introducing a small amount of feedback you've proved that the 6922s are probably not the issue. But if a small amount of feedback improves the bass to that extent and it's not the circuit I'd be putting the amp on the scope as it might be some instability when driving the Quads that the feedback cures

I'm Alan.

I am being picky when I say I am not a fan of the 6922. To say they were an issue would be incorrect.

My system is very revealing, the performance without feedback wasn't shabby but the bass response certainly was improved with the addition of the feedback.
    This was apparent on the scope feeding dummy loads as well as heard on speakers, conventional and the Quads.

I'm Shaun.

Back around 1997 I owned a WAD 300B PP power amp with switchable feedback and for me it was always better with feedback switched in rather than out in terms of sound quality.

I'm Shaun.

Interesting, back in 2004 I had an Audion 300B SE integrated amp and paired it with Audio Note AZ-2's. For me personally the sound was incredibly good but after six months or so of listening I just found that the system really suited acoustic music more than prog rock. Bloody fab sound but I would really have needed two systems.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Back around 1997 I owned a WAD 300B PP power amp with switchable feedback and for me it was always better with feedback switched in rather than out in terms of sound quality.
    Swings & roundabouts... Myself and Petrat of this parish also owned WAD 300pp power amps with switchable feedback and we both preferred, by quite a margin, with the feedback switched Off! The sound deteriorated with it on.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Interesting, back in 2004 I had an Audion 300B SE integrated amp and paired it with Audio Note AZ-2's. For me personally the sound was incredibly good but after six months or so of listening I just found that the system really suited acoustic music more than prog rock. Bloody fab sound but I would really have needed two systems.
    Serves you right, That's what you get for listening to prog rock!
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by WESTLOWER View Post
    Serves you right, That's what you get for listening to prog rock!

I remember selling my WAD 300B power amp back around 1999 - 2001 time to some guy who came and shoved it in the boot of his car. Really nice amplifier to be honest with the most amazing sense of space and air to the sound. Prior to that I was using a Musical Fidelity A100 which was much better suited to me but I was very grateful for the experience even though it was a bloody expensive experience. It started me on the valve journey that has led me to where I am now.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123