Hi,

I currently have -
    Thorens td160 super
    Rega rb300
    Sumiko pearl cartridge
    Tisbury domino phonostage
    Primaluna prologue 2 el34/kt88
    Audionote ank/b

Next year i plan to upgradethe cartridge.

I would have a budget of roughly £200 give or take.
    Used off these forums, or possibly new.

Obviously better value is used, so i’m askng for advice now so that i know what to look out for.

I’m not after ultimate detail retrieval.
    I’d like it to be just very msical and enjoyable.

The sumiko sounds nce, but thisis my first prooer turntable and i’d like to upgrade without going nuts.
    Reccomendatins?

Thanks

I'm Mike.

The Ortofon VMS30 Mk2 is a good match for the RB300, obviously you can't get them new any more, but you can pick a very good 2nd hand one up for about £140 and with a similar performance to the 2M Black they really are great value.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Andrew.

Any of the older Shure carts are worth a look and you can still get them for decent money. I run 3, a Shure V15 mk3, a hot rodded M55E, and the SC35C I love them all. Alternatively and if your lucky you might drop on a 2nd hand Ortofon 2M black which is probably about the best current MM out there.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Philip.

Thanks for tne teplies.

Ease of setup is also important.

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by philv View Post
    Thanks for tne teplies.

Ease of setup is also important.
    Forget the 2M then! They have a history of being VERY picky. The Shure's are very very easy to set up, five minutes and your done.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Dave.

The new Audio Technica VM95 range is excellent.

I'm Mike.

do Audio Technica do an alternative to the 2M Black Dave

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Graham.

This is a bit of a left field suggestion but I noticed the Domino has an MC setting with 100 ohm loading.

I used to own a TD166 mk VI, with the standard TP-50 arm. It came with the ubiquitous AT-95 and sounded perfectly decent if a little crude at times. I experimented with a couple of different carts before I tried an Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II from my main system. I was amazed at the jump in performance and just how good it sounded. No harshness just a lovely lyrical sound that reminded me of the slightly honeyed LP-12.

As an aside, it was so good it even made me realise something was not right in my main setup which soon led me to changing the arm on my 401 for something much more capable and energetic.

Now while the AT-OC9ML/II is 350-400new it can be bought much cheaper S/H. I have bought two off hifi forums, a barely used one for £150 which I used for three years and wore out, and recently a low mileage example in near perfect condition for £100.

It is on the higher compliance side so the Rega with an effective mass of 11g should work even better than the 14g of the Thorens arm which was a touch on the heavy side for the OC-9. The AT-OC9ML/II also works fine into a 100ohm loading, which is what I usually used.

I'm Grant.

Could try a denon dl110. Hi output mc. Or the harder to find dl160
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Philip.

How would a Technica AT-OC9ML/II compare to a goldring 1042?

Would an sut be needed with the mc cartridge?
    I need to keep it easy.

Thoughts on the golri g 1042?

Quote Originally Posted by graham67 View Post
    This is a bit of a left field suggestion but I noticed the Domino has an MC setting with 100 ohm loading.

I used to own a TD166 mk VI, with the standard TP-50 arm. It came with the ubiquitous AT-95 and sounded perfectly decent if a little crude at times. I experimented with a couple of different carts before I tried an Audio Technica AT-OC9ML/II from my main system. I was amazed at the jump in performance and just how good it sounded. No harshness just a lovely lyrical sound that reminded me of the slightly honeyed LP-12.

As an aside, it was so good it even made me realise something was not right in my main setup which soon led me to changing the arm on my 401 for something much more capable and energetic.

Now while the AT-OC9ML/II is 350-400new it can be bought much cheaper S/H. I have bought two off hifi forums, a barely used one for £150 which I used for three years and wore out, and recently a low mileage example in near perfect condition for £100.

It is on the higher compliance side so the Rega with an effective mass of 11g should work even better than the 14g of the Thorens arm which was a touch on the heavy side for the OC-9. The AT-OC9ML/II also works fine into a 100ohm loading, which is what I usually used.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast