+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Arm board in cherry plinth

I'm Drew.

Default Arm board in cherry plinth

Hi

I'm about to order a cherry plinth from Russ Collision and am unsure whether to order separate arm boards or have a hole drilled directly into the plinth. Practical considerations aside, which approach do you think would offer better sound output? Thanks!

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    Hi

I'm about to order a cherry plinth from Russ Collision and am unsure whether to order separate arm boards or have a hole drilled directly into the plinth. Practical considerations aside, which approach do you think would offer better sound output? Thanks!
    Not a simple one I have had a few plinths with a hole drilled in plinth by both collinson and bastin and also ones with removable boards, the conclusion I had I always preffered the latter, but this is mainly due to the simple fact I end up playing with different materials for the arm board and this greatly depends on the arm used. I have found for instance acrylic or wood does not work with modern arms they prefer brass while vintage sme arms like wood also different woods have there own characteristics. I have tried all sorts of boards over the years and found its not easy even with my sme model 30/12 I haven had custom boards made. The colinson plinth has the board screwd into the plinth I found by just putting a few washers between the board and the plinth helps alot with the sound for instance. So given a choice I would buy the removable board no doubt.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

I'm Drew.

Very useful info, thanks. My arm is an Audio Technica AT 1005II (improved by Angus), so vintage enough to hopefully go well with wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrajbasi View Post
    Not a simple one I have had a few plinths with a hole drilled in plinth by both collinson and bastin and also ones with removable boards, the conclusion I had I always preffered the latter, but this is mainly due to the simple fact I end up playing with different materials for the arm board and this greatly depends on the arm used. I have found for instance acrylic or wood does not work with modern arms they prefer brass while vintage sme arms like wood also different woods have there own characteristics. I have tried all sorts of boards over the years and found its not easy even with my sme model 30/12 I haven had custom boards made. The colinson plinth has the board screwd into the plinth I found by just putting a few washers between the board and the plinth helps alot with the sound for instance. So given a choice I would buy the removable board no doubt.

I'm Nari.

Quote Originally Posted by da2222 View Post
    Very useful info, thanks. My arm is an Audio Technica AT 1005II (improved by Angus), so vintage enough to hopefully go well with wood.
    I would get a few boards made out of different materials to make sure as sound seems to be your major concern here.
    Most important and used Walker Black Diamond Etsuro Gold, Micro Seiki 8000mk2 Kondo special V12 Tiger Eye, Fidelity Research FR 66 Shindo spu, EMT 927, sme 312 aluminium. Fidelity research fr66, Sme 3012 mk1, Sme V, Ikeda 407 IT Sme Model 30/2/Dynavector 507 Kodo Beat Turntable Airtangent 10B modified Fidelity fr66s Etsuro Cartridge . Kondo Gakuoh Mk1 powers G70 Pre,Audio Tekne TFA-8695PCS pre Audio Tekne TEA 8695 Phono. Lfd Battery Phono Stage heavily custom rebuilt by Dr Richard Bews, Tharx Phono Stage. Lfd Master Dual Biamp power amp, Lfd Anniversary master preamp. Shindo Latour Field Coil. Rockport Cygnus Biamped, Voigt Domestic Corner Horns/ Feastex Fildcoils. LFD Custom silver Ribbons. LFD Diamond Vipor Mk2 interconnects, Lfd Golden Cobra interconnect. Koetsu blue lace mono special order, Koetsu burma jade mono special order.

+ Reply to Thread