+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best implementation of user selectable Capacitance loading

I'm Andrew.

Default Best implementation of user selectable Capacitance loading

I want to add a little more flexibility to my cartridge loading on my MM 834 clone and I decided that I want to try and control the loading capacitance of the cartridge. I may want to play around with other cables etc at some point in the future. Ideally I'd like to be able to select very small increments and if entirely possible see a visual reading maybe a numerical display. So my question is, how is this best implemented? I'm happy to spend money on good quality components.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Simon.

More than the stage cost. Unless you're happy with a Chinese 24 position switch and a dial display.

Easiest way to do it would be a set of two pin pcb sockets on flying leads. Then just screw different caps in. Or build in a pair of 4ca sockets just for cap loading. That's an easy job

Do you want to mess about repeatedly or find the best value for a specific cart?
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Andrew.

Thanks for the speedy reply.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by sq225917 View Post

Do you want to mess about repeatedly or find the best value for a specific cart?
    No I want a simple rotary switch on the front of the phonostage fascia which outputs capacitance to a simple dial display that way I can visually see what capacitance has been selected. This saves having to mess around making decals for differing values on the front of the phonostage fascia.
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Deleted.

It all boils down to the age old conundrum, do you want convenience or quality.... because the two are, to a point, mutaly exclusive.
    Account Deleted

I'm Paul.

I think that if you wanted a front-viewed switch and somewhat better quality you would have to mount the switch (switches for both channels would be better) at the back of the phono stage, close to the input sockets and use extension bars so that the knobs can be mounted on the front fascia.
    ~Paul~

I'm Simon.

Were it my delicate phono signal i'd want the shortest wiring path possible, so rear mounted switches with extension bars as Paul says would be the way forward. I'd be looking at Elma, Shalco, Seiden or Goldpoint selector switches and styrene caps. Getting the display dial for the front is the tricky part, that's full-on custom work.

For me the sweet spot in terms of switch quality, size, number of positions and price is the Goldpoint single deck 12 way. http://www.goldpt.com/selector.html
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm richard.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    No I want a simple rotary switch on the front of the phonostage fascia which outputs capacitance to a simple dial display that way I can visually see what capacitance has been selected. This saves having to mess around making decals for differing values on the front of the phonostage fascia.
    The Lounge Audio Copla provides that I think but only for MC cartridges. Regards Richard

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    I want to add a little more flexibility to my cartridge loading on my MM 834 clone and I decided that I want to try and control the loading capacitance of the cartridge.
    You may not be gaining much flexibility, depending on the make of MM cartridge your intending to use. If your 834 valve phono clone uses ECC83’s in the first stage then the loading capacitance is already around 200pf or more just from the Miller capacitance of the high Mu input triodes.

If you factor in the capacitance of the phono cable from the arm to stage it could be already nearing 300pf. Adding more capacitance is unlikely to benefit most modern MM cartridges, such as An Ortofon 2M which expects to see 150pf to 300pf.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Mark.

I built my Pearl 2 with adjustable loading and gain. I used Belden Brilliance shielded microphone cable to the switches. Nothing fancy and works well.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast