+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rotating Hi-Fi stand

I'm Rob.

Default Rotating Hi-Fi stand

I think the next change to my hi-fi will be to get a new stand. Two reasons - firstly I need another shelf (6 rather than 5), and second more importantly, I am sick and tired of struggling to get around the back of my kit to change cables or install new items. So how best to achieve the second aim:

I've been wondering about mounting the stand on a Lazy Susan bearing. There are a lot of options for bearings, and the loads some will take seem to be appropriate, and I've even wondered about using a concentric pair. One of the advantages of the Lazy Susan option is that I think it would be fairly easy to have some sort of lock mechanism, that adds rigidity when not rotating.

However, more recently I've notices a number of hi-fi rack suppliers offer castors as an option, and I notice that FrostEOne's Stereo Stand plans include castors. The more I think about it, the more practical castors seem to be.

So the big question has to be: Does mounting the hi-fi on castors compromise the sound, and if so by how much? If not a lot, I think I'd prefer the practicality over the absolute sound.

Conversely could castors actually decouple the stand from the floor and improve sound?

Lastly a 6 shelf stand is quite tall - will it become unwieldy on castors?
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Grant.

i fitted castors to both my racks(when i used them) and i never noticed any sonic difference to the spikes.. just unscrewe the m8 spikes and bought m8 castors online
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Rob.

After a little consideration I went for the castor option, as Grant recommended. I ordered some from ebay, and have finally found a little time to fit them. To be honest I wasn't looking forward to stripping the whole system down and then rebuilding, but it didn't take too long. I was a little nervous that in usual style I'd have brought castors with the wrong sized threads, but in fact they fitted perfectly.

As soon as I started putting the system back together everything was just so much easier now that I had plenty of space to work in.

If I'm honest, the end result is still a bloody mess (I'm not a great cabler), but at least it is now a much more manageable mess.

And only a few leads left over - or perhaps salvaged would be a better description, where I've disconnected stuff in the past and haven't been able to disentangle the leads.

Rob.