+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Racks and Stands - yes or no?

I'm Steve.

Default Racks and Stands - yes or no?

I am currently decorating my 'listening room' and was thinking about getting a rack to put the kit on rather than using the solid oak media unit I have been using up to now.

Having had a look they seem to be quite expensive. Not necessarily a problem but I don't want to waste money and it is hard to demo racks so does anyone have any advice they can give? Do they make a big difference or is it rather subtle?

Thanks
    Garrard 401/SME V/Benz Wood SL, Loricraft PSU, Pass Labs XP-17, Roon NUC, Auralic Vega G2, ATC SCM50SLT

I'm James.

I'm going with subtle, but if your floor is suspended then that's a game changer, they might make an enormous difference in isolation.
    Turntables on shelves on the wall seems popular for isolation and resonance suppression, but my floor is concrete so there's no need and I have no opinion.
    YMMV and so forth

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

What Is the difference between an oak media unit and a purpose built rack?

I'd challenge anybody to hear a difference
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Steve.

I guess it will be done to isolating vibration although it is a heavy unit so you may well be right. It is a suspended floor so there will be some vibration
    Garrard 401/SME V/Benz Wood SL, Loricraft PSU, Pass Labs XP-17, Roon NUC, Auralic Vega G2, ATC SCM50SLT

I'm Ian.

I've got a solid oak media unit and it can transmit vibrations both from the suspended floor and from equipment like the sky box on it. Racks are better in this sense but I've never found one I really like. There is a simple and cheap solution. I use Ikea bamboo chopping boards under equipment fitted with those little pads to protect floors from furniture. Even the turntable is immune from passing footfall

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by stidge View Post
    I am currently decorating my 'listening room' and was thinking about getting a rack to put the kit on rather than using the solid oak media unit I have been using up to now.

Having had a look they seem to be quite expensive. Not necessarily a problem but I don't want to waste money and it is hard to demo racks so does anyone have any advice they can give? Do they make a big difference or is it rather subtle?

Thanks
    Rather than spending lots of dosh on stands, have a look at this https://www.stereophile.com/content/...-system-1650-1, 10 13mm steel balls on ebay are about £3, it might give you ideas using your own stand and then isolating it or components on it. I recently spent £20 on 8 sorbothane semi-spheres on ebay, for my 2 mono block amps and this make a great difference.

You could then think about using the money saved to upgrade a piece of the system, just a thought.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Steve.

Hmmmmm interesting. I would like to upgrade the Hugo so maybe that could be the way to go. Thanks

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by stidge View Post

Thanks
    For me, yes, this product made an improvement
    http://www.boxfurnitureco.com/double.html
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Neil.

I have found much more of an impact from using various decoupling and damping techniques rather than the ‘sound’ of the rack itself.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Shaun.

I remember back in 1997 having a conversation with Tom Fletcher of Nottingham Analogue who told me not to waste lots of cash on fancy hi-fi tables but instead I should buy a big, solid pine coffee table. So I did and I still use it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast