+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Racks and Stands - yes or no?

I'm Martin.

A dedicated will only make a difference to the sound of your turntable and if you have a suspended floor then the TT is better off on a wall shelf anyway. The performance of solid state devices is unaffected by vibration orders of magnitude greater than it will experience sat in domestic room. There's zero benefit to be had from any anti-vibration/isolating/ coupling treatment.

And as you have noticed the price of hi-fi racks is utterly ludicrous compared to the material value.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

I'd love to see some evidence of vibration travelling through a floor and a piece of solid oak furniture to the extent it could effect sound quality.

Edit. Not including turntables
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Grant.

Being as this is a subjective forum, evidence is not needed, and everyone will have different experiences etc re this, just as they do with cables ...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    A dedicated will only make a difference to the sound of your turntable and if you have a suspended floor then the TT is better off on a wall shelf anyway. The performance of solid state devices is unaffected by vibration orders of magnitude greater than it will experience sat in domestic room. There's zero benefit to be had from any anti-vibration/isolating/ coupling treatment.

And as you have noticed the price of hi-fi racks is utterly ludicrous compared to the material value.
    You sure about that?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...behaviour.html

https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/...d-state.96736/
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Steve.

Thanks everyone. Really helpful

My Garrard 401 has a Loricraft plinth with squash balls on each corner so that might provide enough isolation sitting on top of a heavy piece of oak furniture.
    Garrard 401/SME V/Benz Wood SL, Loricraft PSU, Pass Labs XP-17, Roon NUC, Auralic Vega G2, ATC SCM50SLT

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by stidge View Post
    Thanks everyone. Really helpful

My Garrard 401 has a Loricraft plinth with squash balls on each corner so that might provide enough isolation sitting on top of a heavy piece of oak furniture.
    Easy test: put a record on and stamp near your furniture. If your speaker drivers pump then you would benefit from more isolation.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm bernard.

Hi Steve
    Have a look at http://www.customspeakerstands.co.uk
    The guys name is Richard very helpful and friendly and very reasonably priced.
    I had bought a Hifi racks equipment rack which he could have made for me at half the price.
    He did make me a substantial pair of oak speaker stands again at half the price hifi racks were going to charge.

Bernie

I'm Martin.

Pretty much. Here's a thread on the same forum where a bloke who does it for a living measures the effect of vibration:

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thre...ophony.174095/
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Being as this is a subjective forum, evidence is not needed, and everyone will have different experiences etc re this, just as they do with cables ...
    Fair enough, but I also said earlier in the thread that I'd challenge anybody to "hear" a difference between racks.
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Neil.

Default Racks and Stands - yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Fair enough, but I also said earlier in the thread that I'd challenge anybody to "hear" a difference between racks.
    Ever tried a Mana rack? These effectively couple the floor into large tuned glass plates. When you tap a properly set up Mana rack level it should produce a clean “bongggg” when tapped. The rack sings with the music.

It sounds “live” and more forward, but also can be coarse, more ringy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast