+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rega platter upgrade advice

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    I have a Planar 3 with an upgraded sub platter, twin belt pulley and an Acrylic platter, to be honest i can't say that the acrylic platter has had a massive effect but each of the upgrades has bit by bit improved the overall sound and speed stability. Honestly the biggest single improvement i've made was getting an SRM Tech silent base, that for me was like night and day difference and well worth the £125 i spent on it
    Interesting that you didn’t notice much difference between the standard glass and acrylic platters, I think if I do change the platter it will be to the heavier Delrin/Acetal one from Fidelity Designs, it’s slightly heavier than the standard platter and more peripheral weighted. Partly because I have a taller cartridge and because I’ve always found the SQ to be better I use the Origin Live mat on my P3 and a 1.5mm shim under the armbase which gets the VTA perfect. Not familiar with the silent base you mention, I have my P3 on the latest lightweight Rega wall mount which I’ve found gives excellent results even though one of my speakers is less than half a metre away from it.
    The twin belt pulley should improve the W&F but turns the deck to 33.33RPM only requiring the purchase of a TTPSU to get 45RPM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by bbbiker800 View Post
    Just to add to whats been said above. I had speed issues with my RP3 - confirmed by use of 2 appls on 2 different smartphones. Long story short, I installed a Edwards belt and speed dropped quite a bit. The appls aren't that accurate but the phones will give different results as accelerometers are different. That said I use RPM Speed&WOW. Also, the Rega NEO has not been mentioned - Dave, would that help ?
    I got the Edwards Audio Belt after watching I guy on Youtube do a comparison of several different belts and it gave the best speed accuracy, also as my standard belt gave a faster speed I didn’t get the Rega White belt which apparently makes the speed even faster, the Edwards has been very consistent when measured at 33.33-33.34RPM.
    I believe the new Neo PSU enables fine speed adjustment but I’m not prepared to shell out that sort of money when buying a belt for £15 gets it pretty much spot on.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    Not familiar with the silent base you mention, I have my P3 on the latest lightweight Rega wall mount which I’ve found gives excellent results even though one of my speakers is less than half a metre away from it.
    The twin belt pulley should improve the W&F but turns the deck to 33.33RPM only requiring the purchase of a TTPSU to get 45RPM
    Here's the link to the SRM Tech silent base , With regards to the pulley, i only play LP's so not having a 45 option isn't an issue

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Mike.

Also if you're looking for a Delrin platter try this guy http://www.fidelitydesignsltd.co.uk/.../platters.html his workmanship is top notch and his prices are very reasonable.

I'm Mike.

Here's a couple of photos of my Planar 3 with silent base and acrylic platter

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm Dave.

Is it actually that wonky or are you leaning to one side..

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    Is it actually that wonky or are you leaning to one side..
    I wondered that as well.
    Regards Neil

I'm Mike.

Cheeky fookers, it's the photo

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Also if you're looking for a Delrin platter try this guy http://www.fidelitydesignsltd.co.uk/.../platters.html his workmanship is top notch and his prices are very reasonable.
    I’ve had one of FD’s alloy sub platters installed on my P3 for about a year, the engineering quality is first rate and great value at £50, if I was going for a platter upgrade it would be my first port of call.

I'm steve.

Default Rega platter upgrade advice

With one or two comments about possible inaccuracies of the RPM iphone app I thought I’d check by a different method, I printed off a 50hz strobe disc from the net and downloaded an app called True Note which generates a 50hz strobe light via the LED light on the iphone, checked the speed on both my Rega P3 and ATLP5, both delivered a perfectly static strobe ring confirming the speed of both to be spot on. I also checked 45RPM on the ATLP5 and the strobe ring was backing up very slightly indicating it to be slightly slow, when I checked the small print on the strobe disc it stated that to get a whole number of dashes on the 45RPM ring the indication would be static at 45.11RPM, so on that basis 45RPM is probably spot on as well

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast